Posted to dev@samza.apache.org by Jeremiah Adams <JA...@helixeducation.com> on 2019/03/22 18:45:00 UTC

Empty Kafka topic partition Warning

I'm seeing these in our log periodically  and havn't seen them before. Does this imply that the topic associated with the change log is being replayed from the beginning?

Also, why is the offset 0? It definitely should not be. We have messages across all partitions.

2019-03-22 18:30:24 KafkaSystemAdmin [INFO] Fetching SSP metadata for: [SystemStreamPartition [kafka, delivery-changelog, 0]]
2019-03-22 18:30:24 KafkaSystemAdmin [WARN] Empty Kafka topic partition delivery-changelog-0 with upcoming offset 0. Skipping newest offset and setting oldest offset to 0 to consume from beginning
2019-03-22 18:30:52 KafkaSystemAdmin [INFO] Fetching SSP metadata for: [SystemStreamPartition [kafka, delivery-changelog, 0]]
2019-03-22 18:30:52 KafkaSystemAdmin [WARN] Empty Kafka topic partition delivery-changelog-0 with upcoming offset 0. Skipping newest offset and setting oldest offset to 0 to consume from beginning

Jeremiah Adams
Software Engineer
www.helixeducation.com<http://www.helixeducation.com/>
Blog<http://www.helixeducation.com/blog/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/HelixEducation> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/HelixEducation> | LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/company/3609946>

Re: Empty Kafka topic partition Warning

Posted by Jagadish Venkatraman <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hey Jeremiah,

That's great to hear that you've root-caused it!

Please let us know should you run into further issues :-)

Best,
Jagadish

Posted by Jagadish Venkatraman <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeremiah,

>> It looks like my configuration for changelog.replication.factor is not
being applied. Instead the default seems to be applied. I have messages on
2/3 partitions. I am not seeing what I have incorrectly configured.

The "replication.factor" config you mention determines how many brokers
each change-log partition is replicated to. This is un-related to the
behavior you are observing - where a single partition is empty.

For context, each Samza task has its own store and writes to a single
change-log partition. An empty change-log partition means its corresponding
task did not perform writes to its store.

Can you check if there are *input* topic-partitions that don't receive
messages? If so, tasks consuming from them wouldn't have data to process.
This results in their store and the corresponding change-log partition to
be empty. Also, can you check for any exceptions in your logs?

For details on Samza's state management, I'd recommend the below resources:
Videos: Samza Architecture Part-1
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7WJNqP2nCM&index=4&list=PLZDyxA22zzGyNgtBMUIXAgIaO5Ok3PR-x&t=0s>
 Samza Architecture Part-2
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uafd_tJgAWs&index=4&list=PLZDyxA22zzGyNgtBMUIXAgIaO5Ok3PR-x>