Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca> on 2011/11/19 05:33:40 UTC

Cancelling Ant Build in mid-flight?

  I just had an unusual problem. My Ant build stalled in mid-flight with
no messages or warnings to tell me why. I wanted to simply run it again
but every time I tried to start it, Eclipse told me that there was
already an Ant build in progress.

I had no idea how to stop a build which didn't really seem to be running
in the first place. (I started the build and it seemed fine then went
out for a few hours and it seems to have stalled shortly after I left.)
I tried clicking on the red "stop" square but that didn't seem to have
cancelled it. I terminated it and removed it in the Debug window but
that doesn't seem to have killed it either. Finally, I got it to die by
exiting Eclipse and restarting it.

In case this should happen again, what is the right way to kill an Ant
build in Eclipse?

I'm running Eclipse 2.7 with the native Ant, which is Ant 1.8.2. I'm on
Windows XP SP2.

--
Rhino

Re: Cancelling Ant Build in mid-flight?

Posted by "Scot P. Floess" <sf...@nc.rr.com>.
Unfortunately, no idea regarding Eclipse...  I am definitely interested in
what you discover outside of Eclipse...

Posted by "Scot P. Floess" <sf...@nc.rr.com>.

Re: AW: Cancelling Ant Build in mid-flight?

Posted by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca>.
  Hello Juergen,

You're right, I'm not using Eclipse 2.7. I'm actually using 3.7 at the
moment, although I've been using Eclipse for years and have used much
older versions of it in previous years. The '2.7' was just a typo that I
missed. Sorry about that.

I was not running anything other than the build script in Eclipse during
the time I had the problem that I described. I certainly had other
programs running on the computer but I can't think of anything that was
running outside of Eclipse that would have been a problem. I think I
just had my email and a few browser tabs open.

I was just surprised to find my build stuck. It apparently had moved
beyond a certain point for several hours while I was out. The point
where it stalled was during an FTP task so, even if the connection to
the server had been lost, I would have expected the FTP task to detect
that and react with an error message but there was nothing at all. I was
also concerned that Eclipse didn't detect that something was wrong after
so long; it seemed to think that the build was still running normally.
Even after I hit the Stop button on the console and killed the task in
the Debug window, it still didn't recognize that the build was not
running any more. I had assumed that Eclipse could monitor its own tasks
better than that.

But I'm not in a panic about this. After stopping and starting Eclipse,
everything seemed fine again so I'm not going to spend more time on this
unless it becomes a problem again.

--
Rhino