Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Maya Muchnik <mm...@pumatech.com> on 2001/03/08 19:14:32 UTC

a "_blank" target

Hi,
I think <html:link> struts tag has a target attribute, right? Netscape uses
a "_blank" target in <a href=...> anchor. And it "hide" a HREF itself from a
user. But in IE it does not work (I can see HREF). Is this Netscape
specific? How I can do similar in IE? (Sorry, Craig T., I do not know, how
implement what you have suggested).

THANKS in advance.

Maya

Re: a "_blank" target

Posted by Elod Horvath <el...@itfais.com>.
Maya Muchnik wrote:

> Hi,
> I think <html:link> struts tag has a target attribute, right? Netscape uses
> a "_blank" target in <a href=...> anchor. And it "hide" a HREF itself from a
> user. But in IE it does not work (I can see HREF). Is this Netscape
> specific? How I can do similar in IE? (Sorry, Craig T., I do not know, how
> implement what you have suggested).

the target attribute indicates to the browser which _named_ window
or frame to place the results of a request into.  it has nothing to
do with whether the URL is shown in the status bar.  there are certain
special target values recognized by browsers:

_top
	replace the top window/frameset with the results of the request
_blank
	place request results into a new window
_self
	replace the contents of the window/frame in which the link resides
	with the results of the request
_parent
	places the result of the request in the parent of the one
	displaying the current document.

all other values of the TARGET attribute indicate a window/frame name.
if no window or frame of that particular name exists, the the results
are place in a _new_ window (given the specified name).

the target attribute is now part of the HTML 4 spec.  (i
don't  have the spec handy, but the attribute has been around and in use
since the dawn of time (or at least netscape :))

hope this answers your question (at least partially)

Elod Horvath ('e')       /      ITFAIS Records (http://www.itfais.com/)