Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by James Dornan <ja...@Catch22.com> on 1997/12/16 20:54:25 UTC

Re: Problem with 1.3b3

Thanks for point that out Dean. I added an empty vhost entry containing only
the server name, like this.

<VirtualHost vweb.hooked.net>
ServerName vweb.hooked.net
</VirtualHost>

This seems to have activated the real host. I red the vhost documentation and
there is nothing stating that the real host will be ignored. One must agree
that having the real host have a vost entry is strange. It should really be
pointed out.

Thanks again.

-- james

Re: Problem with 1.3b3

Posted by Random Junk <js...@gamespot.com>.
James Dornan writes:
> >   The main_server is only used to serve a request if the IP address and port
> >   number to which the client connected is unspecified and does not match any
> >   other vhost (including a _default_ vhost). In other words the main_server
> >   only catches a request for an unspecified address/port combination (unless
> >   there is a _default_ vhost which matches that port).
>
> Oh, that make it all so damned clear. Did a lawyer write that?

before i became a full time web geek i used to be a technical writer.
i think this would be best expressed as a list of conditions.  only i
have no idea from reading the above text what the conditions are.
something like this perhaps...

- client does not specify a host or port #
  - main_server is used IF there is no default vhost
- client specifies a host and/or port #
  - applicable vhost is used

the principal problem with the text as written is that the important
info is buried in a dense, wordy paragraph.  you want to say what
conditions are first, then describe the results of those conditions
being met.  like programming, when you say IF this THEN that.  (one of
my pet peeves with perl is that it lets you reverse the sense... die
unless blah... grrrr...)

you could write it the other way if you used a bullet list to explain
the conditions more precisely, something like:

   The main_server will be used ONLY when:

   * The client does not specify a host or port #
     AND
   * there is no default vhost (see xx.xx for explanation of default
     vhost).

breaking it up visually like that helps immensely.  it is quite clear
from just a quick visual inspection that there are two conditions.
easy for the reader to make a quick mental checklist.

again, i'm not sure if what i've written is true... but i think it's a
clearer way of expressing the info.

hope this helps.

--
    Jon Drukman       jsd@gamespot.com      SpotMedia Communications
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence.

Re: Problem with 1.3b3

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <La...@unix-ag.org>.
According to James Dornan:

>  This seems to have activated the real host. I red the vhost documentation
>  and there is nothing stating that the real host will be ignored. One must
>  agree  that having the real host have a vost entry is strange. It should
>  really be pointed out.

Well, there's the following text in
http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/details.html

  The main_server is only used to serve a request if the IP address and port
  number to which the client connected is unspecified and does not match any
  other vhost (including a _default_ vhost). In other words the main_server
  only catches a request for an unspecified address/port combination (unless
  there is a _default_ vhost which matches that port).

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                   - Scott me up Beamy, I'm conhow somefused.
sfx@unix-ag.org