Posted to common-commits@hadoop.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/09/22 09:35:22 UTC

[Lucene-hadoop Wiki] Trivial Update of "FAQ" by Arun C Murthy

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucene-hadoop Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by Arun C Murthy:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/FAQ

The comment on the change is:
Improved section on ways to incorporate non-Java code to use Hadoop

  == 4. Do I have to write my application in Java? ==

- No.  There are several ways to incorporate non-Java code.  HadoopStreaming permits any shell command to be used as a map or reduce function, and Hadoop is also developing [http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/hadoop/trunk/src/c%2B%2B/ C and C++ APIs] and a [http://www.swig.org/ SWIG]-compatible [http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-234 pipes] API.
+ No.  There are several ways to incorporate non-Java code.
+   * HadoopStreaming permits any shell command to be used as a map or reduce function.
+   * [http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/hadoop/trunk/src/c%2B%2B/libhdfs libhdfs], a JNI-based C API for talking to hdfs (only).
+   * [http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/api/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/pipes/package-summary.html Hadoop Pipes], a [http://www.swig.org/ SWIG]-compatible  C++ API (non-JNI) to write map-reduce jobs.

  == 5. How can I help to make Hadoop better? ==