Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Yongqian Li <yo...@10gic.net> on 2007/12/05 02:00:56 UTC

Tika Logo Proposals

I am working on designing the Tika logo via the Google Highly Open
Participation Contest. I have put up several drafts here:
http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=1&colspec=ID%20Status%20Owner%20ClaimedBy%20SummaryPlease
take a look at them and tell me what you think.

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Dec 11, 2007 9:23 AM, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:

> ...Bertrand, why don't you download a copy of Inkscape? It's a really cool
> and powerful SVG editor. http://www.inkscape.org/download/?lang=en...

You're totally right...I never happened to be near my macosx install
DVD when I wanted to try it before (the DVD is needed to install X11),
but now it was handy so I have downloaded and installed Inkscape and
it looks good!

-Bertrand

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
If you just need the feather in SVG format:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/poster/svg/asf-logo.svg

On 11.12.2007 09:12:23 Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > ...asf_logo_1999.svg only had the gray scale version of the logo....
>
> I have uploaded a PDF version at
> http://people.apache.org/~bdelacretaz/files/asf_logo_1999.pdf, does
> that help?
>
> I like the tika logo draft #8.svg.eps [1], if you could just make the
> feather more visible (and maybe make a variant without it, if you
> don't find a good way of integrating it) I think we could declare the
> task completed.
>
> -Bertrand
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=1#c40

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Dec 18, 2007 11:45 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> ...Tika people, Yongqian has uploaded three new proposals (under comment
> 46 of the GHOP issue tracker, http://tinyurl.com/2xmsn2)....

FYI, I have now asked [1] Yongqian to attach the draft #9 logo to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-108, so that we can use it
if we want.

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Dec 11, 2007 9:12 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> ...if you could just make the
> feather more visible (and maybe make a variant without it, if you
> don't find a good way of integrating it) I think we could declare the
> task completed....

Tika people, Yongqian has uploaded three new proposals (under comment
46 of the GHOP issue tracker, http://tinyurl.com/2xmsn2).

I think the tika logo draft #9.svg.eps is good enough to declare the
task completed, but I'll wait a bit before doing that, comments are
welcome.

That doesn't mean that we have to use the logo as is, that's a
separate discussion.

-Bertrand

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Posted by Yongqian Li <yo...@10gic.net>.
I use Inkscape, which cannot open eps files. I converted the eps file you
gave me with the command

pstoedit -f plot-svg Z:\asf_logo_1999.eps Z:\asf_logo_1999.svg

But asf_logo_1999.svg only had the gray scale version of the logo.

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Yongqian,

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Could you also use "Apache Tika" as the project name instead of just
"Tika", or at least include "Apache" somewhere in the logo?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Posted by Yongqian Li <yo...@10gic.net>.
I have been busy the last few days, so I didn't have time to reply until
now. I have made that changes you have requested. I cannot find a colored
version of the Apache logo, however. If you can send that to me, I will
include it. And yes, I do this this is getting a bit out of scope for GHOP.
I can still work on refining it but I doubt that my limited skills would be
enough to bring the design to a satisfactory state.

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Posted by Yongqian Li <yo...@10gic.net>.

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Posted by Yongqian Li <yo...@10gic.net>.

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Yongqian,

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Yongqian,

 Thanks for your hard work so far. To me, I like logo #1 because it helps to
foster the "extraction" part of Tika. To me, #2 looks similar to our
existing Tika logo (http://incubator.apache.org/tika/), the one that we want
to spruce up.

 So, my +1 to do more work on #1.

Thanks!

Cheers,
  Chris

On 12/4/07 5:04 PM, "Yongqian Li" <yo...@10gic.net> wrote:

> I am working on designing the Tika logo via the Google Highly Open
> Participation Contest. I have put up several drafts here:
> http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id
> =1&colspec=ID%20Status%20Owner%20ClaimedBy%20SummaryPlease
> take a look at them and tell me what you think.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
Cognizant Development Engineer
Early Detection Research Network Project
Office: 171-266B                     Mailstop:  171-246

Tika Logo Proposals