Posted to dev@chemistry.apache.org by Gabriele Columbro <ga...@apache.org> on 2011/02/07 15:07:48 UTC

Product/vendor specific contributions to Chemistry

Hi guys,
this contribution to Alfresco [1] which also comprise a potential
contribution to OpenCMIS is triggering to ask me a more general question on
the list.

What is our (and ASF) position with respect to product specific
contributions? Meaning, do you see any "netiquette" or other issues in
committing this the OpenCMIS codebase?

I think that, especially considering the interop and willingly flexible
nature of the CMIS standard, having product specific extensions might be a
plus for the usability and wider applicability of OpenCMIS.

So I'd be +1 to follow the standard contribution procedure for this (
http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html#patches), but WDYT?

Ciao,
Gab

[1] https://issues.alfresco.com/jira/browse/ALF-7088

--
Eng. Gabriele Columbro
Open source and ECM Architect

"Keyboard not found.
 Press F1 to continue"

Re: Product/vendor specific contributions to Chemistry

Posted by Florian Müller <fl...@alfresco.com>.
Hi,

I'm indecisive on this one.
On the one hand I think OpenCMIS should be vendor independent. Also, the
OpenCMIS release cycle might not match the vendors release cycle.
On the other hand it would be nice to provide out-of-box connectivity to
as many repositories as possible.

How about keeping the code out of OpenCMIS but providing connection
instructions for different repositories on the Chemistry website?
The instructions could, of course, include links to additional jars that
are required.

I agree with Jens that NTLM is different. It's an independent
authentication protocol - even if it is only used by a few (well, one)
vendor.
If we find more of those, I think they belong into OpenCMIS. Digest
authentication and SSL client certificates come to mind.

- Florian

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jens Hübel <jh...@opentext.com>.