Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> on 2019/05/15 20:33:36 UTC

[VOTE] Retire Maven Runtime library

Hi,

The Apache Maven project consist of about 100 (sub)projects. Due to the small number of volunteers and the huge amount of code to maintain we're missing enough space to make real progress on all these projects, including our ambitious ideas for the next major version(s) of Maven itself.
To be able to gain more focus we need to criticize the current subprojects and decide if it is worth maintaining.

The Maven Runtime library has been released 3 times, the last time was May 2012 for version 1.0-alpha-3. According to https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.maven.shared/maven-runtime [https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.maven.shared/maven-runtime] this library is only used in 4 projects.
The main purpose of the library is reading the pom.properties or pom.xml from an artifact to get the version. This functionality works so the library can be considered finished.
See https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-runtime/ [https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-runtime/]

I therefore propose that we retire the maven-runtime.

I don't think it makes sense to do a final release. Instead we should update the documentation and the freeze the codebase.

The process for retiring a plugin is described here:
https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html

The vote is open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Yes, it's about time
[ ] -1 No, because...

Re: [VOTE] Retire Maven Runtime library

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.
+1
BR
Sylwester

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
+1

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
+1

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

[RESULT] [VOTE] Retire Maven Runtime library

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Hi,

The vote has passed with the following result:

+1: Karl Heinz Marbaise, Sylwester Lachiewicz, Manfred Moser, Tibor Digana, Tamás Cservenák, Hervé BOUTEMY, Robert Scholte

PMC quorum: reached

I will continue with the steps required to retire this library.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.
+1 .. definitely about time ;-)

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
+1