Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2003/11/17 05:58:52 UTC

[general] screwed up Commons site

There are some problems on the Commons site cvs-wise at the moment.

dbcp.html and pool.html have been edited locally.
httpclient/ has also been edited locally.

These will get merges when we do a cvs update to get the latest version of
Lang out [as the url of the lang page is changing]. Not in itself a
problem, but a potential one.

More painfully, the Latka site has also been updated locally and has cvs
clashes. If we do an update for Lang we're going to cause big problems
here.

DBCP, Pool, HttpClient could all just copy the files on minotaur over to a
cvs repository that is not checked out as anonymous and commit them there.
Latka needs more juggling.

Any thoughts?

Hen

Re: [general] screwed up Commons site

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Do you suggest removing the HttpClient docs from CVS?

Mike

Posted by John Keyes <jb...@mac.com>.
On 18 Nov 2003, at 04:55, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> It seems there are a large number of commons sites that do not exist
>> in
>> CVS.  Is there a standard for this?  Should the HttpClient entries in
>> CVS be removed?
>
> As far as I know, they should all be checked into CVS, regardless of
> whether
> they are built with anakia, forrest or maven.

Is it not enough to have the source of the site in CVS?  For example,
the
xdocs (and associated artifacts) for a maven generated site.  Is there
an
added benefit to having the generated HTML in CVS also?

-John K

RE: [general] screwed up Commons site

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
I know for Jelly when I've rebuilt the site, I've never checked it in to
CVS.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
I'm of the opinion that a proper backup system is the appropriate
solution here, this is not an ideal usage of cvs and is just going to
"bloat" the cvs contents.

-Mark

Martin Cooper wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>

>>>I assume you are talking about the docs at
>>>/www/jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/.  The HttpClient site is
>>>not maintained in CVS.  It is generated via Maven and published with
>>>maven site:deploy.
>>
>>As far as I know, all sites are supposed to be in CVS, and checked out into
>>the file system.  Amongst the reasons for this are to ensure that
>>infrastructure can recover them rapidly in the event of a problem.  This
>>includes sites generated by Forrest or Maven.
>

> This makes a great deal of sense. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, none
> of the Maven generated sites are checked in. That's probably because Maven
> does so much (e.g. site:deploy) that it doesn't occur to people (including
> myself) to take the extra step and check in the generated site.
>
> I'm not aware of an actual policy that requires this, but it wouldn't be a
> bad idea. Perhaps I'll bring that up on infrastructure@. In the meantime,
> it would be a good policy for us to introduce to Commons, at least, while
> we're in the process of sorting out our own web site infrastructure. I
> will add something about this to the wiki page when I get a chance.
>
> --
> Martin Cooper
>

>>	--- Noel

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://osprey.hmdc.harvard.edu

RE: [general] screwed up Commons site

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: [sandbox] Karma request

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>:

> I plan to do some updating of scaffold.
> Could someone please grant karma to sraeburn for sandbox?

Done.  Sorry for the delay (was at ApacheCon all last week, and way behind on
email).

> TIA
>
> Steve

Craig

[sandbox] Karma request

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Anyone from Latka got a clue what's screwed up with their docs/CVS?

Lots of clashes if I attempt to cvs update those.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I'm just waiting for a definitive answer from infrastructure,
> or whomever else wants to make the official judgment.

Unless infrastructure replies otherwise to the e-mail I sent this morning, I
think you should assume that the currently posted policy stands.

	--- Noel

Re: [general] screwed up Commons site

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
> Still need to sort them out. The HttpClient cvs diffs could just be
> something daft like a bad line ending, but if so then it's confusing cvs
> enough to suggest everything is different. I'll mess around with the -b
> options to diff etc to see if it's just dos/unix formatting.

The HttpClient docs in CVS have not been updated for at least a year I
believe.  We've just been pushing the content using maven site:deploy.
If it turns out that we should be using CVS for site documentation I
will update CVS, if not I will delete HttpClient from CVS and stick with
site:deploy.  I'm just waiting for a definitive answer from

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Ditto. But in the case of Latka and HttpClient, I expect anything checked
into CVS to be using CVS.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Hen,

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Closer looking showed that these files had already been updated with cvs
clashes. I've reset them to the local cvs.

Thanks,

Hen

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Any thoughts?

You want my view?  As a matter of policy, changes that are not in CVS should
not be considered changes.  If you care to be nice, you could do cvs diff -u
and e-mail the diff to the list before you blow the renegade file(s) away.

	--- Noel