Posted to users@maven.apache.org by sarmahdi <sa...@hotmail.com> on 2012/02/25 17:25:13 UTC

difference between eclipse plugin for maven and maven plugin for eclipse

Hello All!

I am confused and i cant seem to undertand this thing :

There is a eclipse plugin for maven that can be downloaded from eclipse ( I
am trying to download one for RSA 7.0 but cannot find it)

Then there is a maven plugin for eclipse
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/ mave-eclipse-plugin

If i use this will i be able to use that project as an eclipse project. then
what is the difference between the first plugin that eclipse downloads or do
i need both?

Thank
Syed...

Re: difference between eclipse plugin for maven and maven plugin for eclipse

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Just in case you have not found this; the Eclipse STS from Springsource
comes all set up to work with Maven right out of the box with no extra
downloads required.
Saves a lot of screwing around that you have to do with a stock Eclipse
to get a useful IDE.

Ron

On 25/02/2012 5:41 PM, Barrie Treloar wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 2:55 AM, sarmahdi<sa...@hotmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> I am confused and i cant seem to undertand this thing :
> It's very simple.
>
>> There is a eclipse plugin for maven that can be downloaded from eclipse ( I
>> am trying to download one for RSA 7.0 but cannot find it)
> This is an Eclipse plugin (not a Maven one) so it runs directly inside eclipse.
> It allows you to run maven command from within Eclipse and also
> provides Eclipse editors for pom.xml files.
> RSA is often too far behind the main Eclipse release, so you may need
> to convince it to find things, etc, but it should just be a matter of
> following the instructions at http://www.eclipse.org/m2e/
>
>> Then there is a maven plugin for eclipse
>> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/ mave-eclipse-plugin
> This is a Maven plugin (not an Eclipse one)
> It will build the Eclipse files .classpath, .project and a few others
> so that you can import your Maven project into Eclipse all configured
> and ready to go.
> It saves you from manually doing this.
> Since it does not run in Eclipse, every time you want to do anything
> you need to use a console prompt to run Maven (just like you normally
> would).
> If your dependencies change, you will need to re-run the
> maven-eclipse-plugin to reconfigure Eclipse with the changes.
>
>> If i use this will i be able to use that project as an eclipse project. then
>> what is the difference between the first plugin that eclipse downloads or do
>> i need both?
> Be warned: You can not run both.
>
> m2e will not load a project that has had maven-eclipse-plugin run against it.
>
> However you can try one or the other and see which you prefer.
> Just remember to start with a clean checkout each time.

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: difference between eclipse plugin for maven and maven plugin for eclipse

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.