Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by John O'Grady <as...@facets-tech.net> on 2008/05/20 01:41:29 UTC

IvyDE and ivysettings.xml files

Forgive me if this is the wrong list for these questions.
I was wondering if there is some reason that the Eclipse plugin (IvyDE)
will not look for an ivysettings.xml file on a per-project basis, and
then why the path the plugin is looking for for the ivysettings.xml file
is not project-rooted?

On that last point, at work we have project-specific ivysettings.xml
files, and because the plugin looks for that file on a file-system basis
rather than a project basis, it makes using the plugin with our projects
impossible, since if we share the Eclipse settings files, the path for
the locations of the ivysettings.xml file may differ per developer machine.

Re: IvyDE and ivysettings.xml files

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>
wrote:

> Le mardi 20 mai 2008, Xavier Hanin a écrit :
> > On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Nicolas Lalevée
> > <ni...@joost.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > This is the good place ! :)

> (IvyDE)
> > >
> > > There is some usecase where you have a lot of different projects, but
> one
> > > configuration. Then you want to specify absolute path.

> the
> > >
> > > machine.
> > >
> > > First, which version of IvyDE are you using ?
> > >
> > > Then the feature you are talking about should work since the version
> > > 1.1.0.
> > > (IVYDE-25). If it doesn't please open a Jira issue.
> >
> > I use project specific settings every day, and it works like a charm. The
> > syntax is awkward (file://./ivysettings.xml as URL), but you don't see
> this
> > too often. Easing this configuration would be a nice improvement though.
>
> yep, I thought of new scheme, project:, which also should allow to point to
> other project.
> projet://mymasterproject/ivysettings.xml
> projet:///ivysettings.xml => point to "current" project
>
> I think that would be cool if we can also make the UI support that,
> special "browse by project button" and so on.
> I should probably put it into a Jira issue!

Very good ideas! I like 'em!

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/