Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by ne...@ca.ibm.com on 2002/01/16 21:41:17 UTC

Re: [grammar caching]: re-revised interfaces

Hi Andy,

I'm fine with all three of your points below; I'll make the appropriate
changes.  I'd thought of keeping getSystemId() instead of using
getExpandedSystemId() to stay more in-line with SAX, but since there are
lots of ways in which we've already departed from that API there's little
reason to see why we shouldn't do so here as well.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

Andy Clark <an...@apache.org> on 01/15/2002 10:13:29 PM

Please respond to xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org

To:   xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org
cc:
Subject:  Re: [grammar caching]:  re-revised interfaces

A few thoughts:

1) I'd rather make all of the get*SystemId method names be
   explicit in regards to their function. So I think we should
   change getSystemId to getExpandedSystemId as suggested by
   Edwin.
2) Just because the base interface for specifying a resource
   location is called XMLResourceIdentifier doesn't mean that
   the "-Identifier" suffix applies to sub-interfaces. Case in
   point, the various grammar description interfaces hold more
   information that just the resource identifiers so they
   should probably have a different suffix that makes sense.
   The "-Description" suffix is probably fine for the grammar
   description interfaces.
3) I think the grammar interface (which is currently empty)
   should add a method to return the grammar's type. That way
   grammars can be thrown into a generic container and still
   be queried later about their type without requiring an
   instanceof operation.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org