Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de> on 2015/05/28 15:43:34 UTC

mod_h2 internals

For anyone interested in mod_h2 internals, its parasitic life inside httpd and the apache mutations (=hacks) it is doing, there is now a web page for that: https://icing.github.io/mod_h2/internals.html. For people knowledgable in httpd core APIs (and where else would one find them but here), I try to give a high level summary of what the module does.

That should give people the false assurance they understand what the module really is doing, without becoming the wiser by reading the actual code.

That was a joke.

Honestly, I wrote it mostly to cleanup my own thoughts about it. Maybe people wanting to really understand the code will find it a good introduction. It mentions areas of possible improvements and parts where the module is a bit „hacky“ for the sake of performance. Things that should be addressed in future development. It could work for that too. Maybe.

Anyway, feedback/questions are welcome.

Cheers,

  Stefan

<green/>bytes GmbH
Hafenweg 16, 48155 Münster, Germany

Re: mod_h2 internals

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Nice!

Re: mod_h2 internals

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
> On 28 May 2015, at 16:25, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>
> One thing I've been thinking about, and there might even be some hooks
> in trunk for it, is the idea of slave connections (or sub-connections)
> which kind of *is* a pseudo connection. So one could create a connection
> and then a sub/slave connection from that, and then use *that* for
> requests. This maintains the connection->request idea, but allows for
> multiple connections and requests per a single "real" connection.

That would be useful - and perhaps fold/kill some of the internal redirect stuff in as well.

Dw.

Re: mod_h2 internals

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.