Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM> on 2006/04/14 21:58:24 UTC

Apache Derby invited to participate in Google Summer of Code

Great news!  We have been invited to participate in the Google Summer of
Code.  I am signing up as the overall community representative and will
work to get this set up with Google.  Barring any unforeseen glitches in
this process, I think we should be good to go.

In the meantime, we should get prepared by setting up as many
interesting projects we can think of that a team of one or more
top-notch student coders can do over a summer.  This is an opportunity
to get some visibility, get some great improvements to Derby, and
potentially recruit some great new community members.

I have set up a Wiki page for coding projects.  I tried to make it
generic in case anyone wants to sign up, but it is geared towards the
requirements of the Summer of Code (a three month project for one or
more newcomers).

If there is a project you think would be great to get done, please add
it to the site.  NOTE that each project requires one or more mentors who
can help guide the team through their design and implementation and
answer any questions or concerns they may have.

See http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/CodingProjects

Thanks, and let me know if you have any questions.

David