Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Joe D. Williams" <jo...@mindspring.com> on 2003/12/20 23:44:06 UTC

Newbie: DatabaseSelectAction modes?

I want to authenticate users by a username and password, using
DatabaseAuthenticatorAction and then pull information from the same database
table that contains the authentication information. For example, a custom
greeting or whatever, using columns that were not parameters from the input
form.

So, I have managed to create a pipeline and descriptor file for the
authentication, but am not sure what to use for the "mode" parameter in the
descriptor for the select action.

What are the acceptable values, or where can I find them?

Re: Newbie: DatabaseSelectAction modes?

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Joe D. Williams wrote:
> I want to authenticate users by a username and password, using
> DatabaseAuthenticatorAction and then pull information from the same database
> table that contains the authentication information. For example, a custom
> greeting or whatever, using columns that were not parameters from the input
> form.

All attributes' values are returned as sitemap variables and are
available as request attributes (if the default output module is used,
otherwise they could be written eg to session attributes or whatever).

> So, I have managed to create a pipeline and descriptor file for the
> authentication, but am not sure what to use for the "mode" parameter in the
> descriptor for the select action.

This is to chose different (input) modules for reading the attributes'
values. For the select action, only key attributes are considered and
only one mode type ("others") is used. However, a different mode type
could be requested by adding the others-mode="foo" attribute to the
table tag inside a table-set. The above requests a mode type "foo".

This way the same structure description can be used for different inputs.

> What are the acceptable values, or where can I find them?

Any value is acceptable as long as it is requested. Otherwise it is just
ignored.

	Chris.