Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2008/04/23 22:04:09 UTC

adopt www.apache.org site design

Any objections to adopting the new www.apache.org site design? The
httpd site is looking a little dated, in my opinion.

I'm not interested in getting into a long debate about the details of
the design. (Although people are welcome to play around after it is
committed.) I just grabbed exactly what is being used for
www.apache.org and made a few small changes to adapt to our site.

There www.apache.org redesign changed the semantics of the xml a
little bit, so there may be some adjustments required on the site.
(For example, the main heading for the page now comes from the first
<section> title rather than the <title> in the header.

Here is a rough cut
http://people.apache.org/~slive/httpd-site/docs/
The links don't work, but you can type in the URLs with the obvious
adjustment to see other pages.

Joshua.

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> Any objections to adopting the new www.apache.org site design? The
> httpd site is looking a little dated, in my opinion.

Go for it, a +1 from me too.  Nice move, I was wondering how long it
would take to disseminate into project websites.

> I'm not interested in getting into a long debate about the details of
> the design. (Although people are welcome to play around after it is
> committed.) I just grabbed exactly what is being used for
> www.apache.org and made a few small changes to adapt to our site.
>
> There www.apache.org redesign changed the semantics of the xml a
> little bit, so there may be some adjustments required on the site.
> (For example, the main heading for the page now comes from the first
> <section> title rather than the <title> in the header.
>
> Here is a rough cut
> http://people.apache.org/~slive/httpd-site/docs/
> The links don't work, but you can type in the URLs with the obvious
> adjustment to see other pages.

Looks good Josh.

Posted by Sander Temme <sa...@temme.net>.
On Apr 23, 2008, at 1:04 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Any objections to adopting the new www.apache.org site design? The
> httpd site is looking a little dated, in my opinion.

+1, Do it.

S.

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> Any objections to adopting the new www.apache.org site design? The
> httpd site is looking a little dated, in my opinion.

The detail lost in this discussion is that docs@ is a specific activity
of the httpd project, documenting the httpd application, in a dozen
languages, with relatively light traffic flow and allowing dialogs
between many non-native english speakers.  This sort of dialog (when
it gets nasty, especially) is better left on the "hardcore" list.

This TLP's list *is* dev@httpd.apache.org.  The website itself should,
really, be discussed over there.

Bill

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 01:39:11PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> I don't think so.  Maybe I am going blind, but I find that style very
> hard to read.  I prefer the larger font, white background, and original
> feather graphics of our current site.  I seriously dislike the menu bar
> and horizontal rules in the new design, and am absolutely -1 on any change
> to our project logo (which is different from the ASF logo).

Agreed. I'd really hate to have the docs messed up by the new design.
Readablity should take preference over fancy new colors.

vh

Mads Toftum
--
http://soulfood.dk

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2008, at 1:04 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:
>

> > Any objections to adopting the new www.apache.org site design? The
> > httpd site is looking a little dated, in my opinion.
> >

>  I don't think so.  Maybe I am going blind, but I find that style very
>  hard to read.  I prefer the larger font, white background, and original
>  feather graphics of our current site.  I seriously dislike the menu bar
>  and horizontal rules in the new design, and am absolutely -1 on any change
>  to our project logo (which is different from the ASF logo).

I know that you designed the project logo. I've never liked it. And I
think it is probably the most dated-looking thing on the site. It is
the thing I most want to get rid of. (There, I'm done insulting Roy.
;-)

For the rest of it, contributions are welcome. The www.apache.org
redesign has been positively received by the vast majority, although
there are always differences of opinion. I'm no designer myself, so
I've basically just adopted it whole-hog, with only a few
modifications (including the top menu bar).

I'm taking the -1 as a vote rather than veto, of course, since this is
a non-technical issue.

Mads: I have no plan of touching the docs (manual) pages. They already
have a relatively up-to-date design and they have a completely
different build system.

Rüdiger: There may be some .xml pages that need small adjustments
because of the changes in the meaning of the markup, but I think the
majority is fine.

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Apr 23, 2008, at 1:04 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Any objections to adopting the new www.apache.org site design? The
> httpd site is looking a little dated, in my opinion.

I don't think so.  Maybe I am going blind, but I find that style very
hard to read.  I prefer the larger font, white background, and original
feather graphics of our current site.  I seriously dislike the menu bar
and horizontal rules in the new design, and am absolutely -1 on any
change
to our project logo (which is different from the ASF logo).

OTOH, I have no objection to improving the layout and getting rid
of the horizontal grey heading bars on our current site.

....Roy

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:25:18AM +0100, Nick Kew wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:59:54 -0400
> "Joshua Slive" <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:
>
> >  Two small changes to the CSS got rid of the
> > font-size and reflow issue, as you can see from
> > http://people.apache.org/~slive/httpd-site/docs/

The two heading lines look absolutely horrible on this standard xp:

The Apache HTTP Server
The world's most popular web server

that font really doesn't scale well and looks very uneven.

> The other consideration is the auto-generated documentation
> that makes up most of the site.  It is amongst the best-designed
> techie pages anywhere on the Web, so we definitely shouldn't
> be messing with them unless you have a much stronger vision
> than aligning them with www.apache.org (no matter how good
> that becomes).  Adapting the front page to the standard of
> the docs would seem a better goal.

Agreed. +1

vh

Mads Toftum
--
http://soulfood.dk

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:59:54 -0400
"Joshua Slive" <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:

>  Two small changes to the CSS got rid of the
> font-size and reflow issue, as you can see from
> http://people.apache.org/~slive/httpd-site/docs/

Yes, that addresses my most important criticisms.
I can withdraw -1, but am not yet ready to say +1:

*  it's still "transitional"!!!!!
*  why the **** are all the links made *bold*?
*  why the whitespace at both sides, even with a narrow
   browser window?
*  Going straight from <h1> to <h4> breaks structure.
*  That purple link colour is rather too close to
   traditional/default "visited link" colour for
   optimum usability.

I'm also not very enthusiastic about the aesthetics.
But I make no claim to be any judge of that!

> But I think most people would agree that this design looks less
> "modern".

FSVO "modern" around 1997?

>    Why? Because on the real internet, so many sites use a
> smaller-than-default font size, that users think of the small size as
> the real default and adjust their expectations and browser settings
> accordingly.

I think that basically all happened when early MSIE versions
had ridiculously large default text, among other defects.
What we have now is a hangover from that.

> To be clear again: I didn't design this. It is adopted from
> www.apache.org. I think it is a clear improvement, but I'm not going
> to force it down people's throats.

Different baseline.  The old www.apache.org wanted a facelift,
but httpd.apache.org had a much better startingpoint.

http://www.apachetutor.org/

RE: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Vincent de Lau <vi...@delau.nl>.
> From: Roy T. Fielding [mailto:fielding@gbiv.com]

> The background
> is white because that's the background of our nontransparent logo
> images, and unless you intend to convert them all there is no
> point in trying to change it.  If you want to improve other things
> about our site, then go ahead and test out those other things.

Actualy, the current logo on the website has no white pixels but
transparancy. The black bar is in the background however, but 5 seconds of
Photoshop gets rid of it. (attached as PNG)

Vincent de Lau
 vincent@delau.nl

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Astrid 'Kess' Stolper <ke...@kess-net.de>.
On Thursday 24 April 2008 20:29:20 Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
> >  In any case, I've got way better things to
> >  do then this.
>
> Whatever, Roy.
>
> I'm not going to put this to a PMC vote because I think it is
> poisoness to the docs group to let a bunch of people who aren't
> participating in documentation development make decisions on
> inconsequential docs changes. This group can't function if the people
> making the decisions aren't the ones doing the work.

eh? It is one progrect. Shall devs have separate pages? Or the other way
round, do docs peopls have no rihgt to vote on releases? What a crap.
Whether non docs people are interested in this discussion, is one thing. But
telling them they don't have a right to speak or vote, is another and very
bad view. It is also not the way I want to see the ASF or a part of it
behaving!

However, I don't like the new layout. Neither at www.apache.org nor elsewhere.
It is hard to read, difficult to focus and in my eyes far less modern than
the last www.apache.org layout. -1 from me.

 Kess

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Vinko Vrsalovic <vi...@gmail.com>.
Finally someone injects the much needed sanity in this thread!

Posted by Astrid 'Kess' Stolper <ke...@kess-net.de>.

Posted by Vinko Vrsalovic <vi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Maxime Petazzoni <
maxime.petazzoni@bulix.org> wrote:

> Roy's idea here is good. Let's setup a design contest, with rules we
> will agree on (keeping the logo, accessibiliy, being xhtml1.1 compliant
> or whatever), and vote on the results. Sum up the vote, and commit the
> winner. End of story. And as every vote, some will be disappointed by
> the outcome, but at least it will be the result of the collaboration of
> our community.

The idea is great, the problem I see is that there will still be a lot of
disagreement over the set of objective measures that every contestant MUST
or SHOULD pass to enter.

In any case I think that just defining these guidelines (ie "Apache
project's web site accessibility and design guidelines") would be a worthy
goal, even if we end up keeping the old design and nobody enters the
potential contest. I do not know it such a thing is feasible.

If it is, then an incremental improvement work could occur to achieve what
the guidelines ended up defining. Of course the guidelines should talk only
about objective things. Looks and subjective things would be what a vote
would pick.

There seems to be agreement among a significant amount of people that the
design we've had for a long time is old and should be freshened up,
regardless of whether they agree or not with the current (and ONLY, so far)
proposal.

V.

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org>.
[Ok, let's jump into the ring.]

Hi,

* Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> [2008-04-24 15:51:29]:

> On Apr 24, 2008, at 1:31 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
>> We are all very busy people, and this kind of bike shedding doesn't
>> get us anywhere.
>
> We have a defined process for resolving paint colors for bike sheds.
> We only use it when there is disagreement.  The only time this stuff
> blows up is when people refuse to play by the same rules.

I'm not really sure people here realize how insane this discussion here.
No offense, but you look like a bunch of kids fighting in a playground.
Where is the wisdom and professionalism we've been use too ?

If you stand back just a little, you will quickly see that this is going
nowhere. Almost everyone is standing on its position.

Joshua, I think that in the light of the first couple of -1s you should
have called for a clear vote on this thing. It may, or may not, have the
thing commited, and then people could start incrementally improve it,
since the site is CTR.

>> I believe it is an improvement, and we can build incrementally on it,
>> and work through the issues you and others have raised.
>>
>> Therefore, I am +1 adopting the design.
>
> And I am -1 on adopting it.  So either change the proposal so that there
> isn't a disagreement, abandon it entirely, or go over to dev and start a
> vote on which design is better (old or new, majority rules).  Better
> yet,
> suggest a design contest wherein multiple designs can be submitted and
> we'll choose one based on a simple preference vote. That way there is no
> hurry, everyone's opinion is considered equally, and we don't have to
> waste time on commit wars or agreeing to a new process of making our
> decisions for CTR products.  And if you still think the bike shed looks
> bad, then make another proposal (preferably a small one) and see if
> anyone disagrees ... that's collaboration.

For different reasons than just its design, I'm -1 on the new design.
But I do agree that the site may need to follow us into the 21st
century!

Roy's idea here is good. Let's setup a design contest, with rules we
will agree on (keeping the logo, accessibiliy, being xhtml1.1 compliant
or whatever), and vote on the results. Sum up the vote, and commit the
winner. End of story. And as every vote, some will be disappointed by
the outcome, but at least it will be the result of the collaboration of
our community.

- Maxime
--
Maxime Petazzoni <http://www.bulix.org>
06.71.50.63.63

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Apr 24, 2008, at 1:31 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
> We are all very busy people, and this kind of bike shedding doesn't
> get us anywhere.

We have a defined process for resolving paint colors for bike sheds.
We only use it when there is disagreement.  The only time this stuff
blows up is when people refuse to play by the same rules.

> I believe it is an improvement, and we can build incrementally on
> it, and work through the issues you and others have raised.
>
> Therefore, I am +1 adopting the design.

And I am -1 on adopting it.  So either change the proposal so that there
isn't a disagreement, abandon it entirely, or go over to dev and start a
vote on which design is better (old or new, majority rules).  Better
yet,
suggest a design contest wherein multiple designs can be submitted and
we'll choose one based on a simple preference vote. That way there is no
hurry, everyone's opinion is considered equally, and we don't have to
waste time on commit wars or agreeing to a new process of making our
decisions for CTR products.  And if you still think the bike shed looks
bad, then make another proposal (preferably a small one) and see if
anyone disagrees ... that's collaboration.

As long as you don't piss and moan about the process and the people
who we've already decided have the right to vote, then you won't be
crossing my role as chair (even if I think the result sucks).

....Roy

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> Which just goes to show why I stated in my original email that I
>> wasn't interested in nitpicking the design with a bunch of back-seat
>> quarterbacks. Everyone has different opinions about what constitutes
>> good design. I was trying to adopt something that had a pretty-obvious
>> consensus positive opinion.
>
> Just because the PRC is happy to redesign www.apache.org without so much
> as a whisper on the site-dev list does not mean there was consensus.  It
> is difficult to adjust www.apache.org because of the overlapping
> stylesheets
> are fairly screwed for edits.  In any case, I've got way better things to
> do then this.

Roy,

We are all very busy people, and this kind of bike shedding doesn't get
us anywhere.

I believe it is an improvement, and we can build incrementally on it,
and work through the issues you and others have raised.

Therefore, I am +1 adopting the design.

-Paul

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Apr 25, 2008, at 6:09 AM, Joshua Slive wrote:
> The way I should have phrased it is this: When people who aren't
> working on a particular documentation issue try to control how it is
> done, it takes the fun out of it for me.

You lost me there.  If you define a documentation task as a one-person
effort, then it will indeed be work (not fun) to try to satisfy the
desires of a bunch of other people. So, rather than expect everyone
else to suppress their own desires, change the task so that it isn't
a one-person effort.  It isn't quite the same as instant gratification,
but it feels better in the long run.

For example, I doubt that anyone would object to changing the output
so that it becomes easy to apply CSS skins.  I mean, there will
undoubtedly be some quibbles over small choices like which DOCTYPE
to use, but technical items like that are relatively easy to resolve
and don't require prior buy-in.  I am willing to work on that because
I like enabling parallel designs (and know how to tweak Anakia).

Other people can have fun coming up with new skins, and we can either
decide on a default or rotate a few of them.

....Roy

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:

>  I'm not going to put this to a PMC vote because I think it is
>  poisoness to the docs group to let a bunch of people who aren't
>  participating in documentation development make decisions on
>  inconsequential docs changes. This group can't function if the people
>  making the decisions aren't the ones doing the work.

I realize now that this statement was subject to misinterpretation and
I apologize for that. I don't mean to imply in any way that the docs
group and the PMC are separate entities with disjoint membership. We
are all part of the same project and the PMC is the ultimate decision
maker.

The way I should have phrased it is this: When people who aren't
working on a particular documentation issue try to control how it is
done, it takes the fun out of it for me. If it isn't fun, I'm probably
not going to do it.

In this particular case, what I thought was consensus about the new
www.apache.org design was actually created by people not expressing
their opinions. That is exactly why I sent the original mail: to check
that there was general agreement that this was a good base. Since this
agreement doesn't exist, I don't see any point in continuing. I don't
need a vote for that.

I don't know exactly how things should proceed from here. I'm
certainly not opposed to a design contest, but I'm also not optimistic
that it is going to happen unless someone has the time and energy to
invest in driving it. There has also been some suggestion that website
discussion belongs on dev@httpd. I believe that there is a greater
absolute number and greater percentage of people interested in website
issues here than on dev, but I don't have any objection to the issue
being discussed on dev instead.

In any case, I suggest that anyone who wants to discuss the website
design start a new thread with a new perspective. This one is a
dead-end.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Apr 24, 2008, at 6:32 AM, Joshua Slive wrote:
> The pages you pointed to as examples used <100% for their default text
> fonts (at least the ones I checked). If you're trying to make an
> empirical argument, start by checking the data.

I looked at the characters on screen.  I don't care if the characters
are
styled by the "default font" or the "content font" or the "header font".
What matters is the stuff I need to read is readable.  They might
even be
switching stylesheets based on user-agent and we are looking at entirely
different styles.  I can only assure you that the content text is no
less
than 14pt in Firefox on a Mac and the look is decidedly modern.  Smaller
fonts are only used for extracts/legalese/follow-link-to-read-more
stuff.

> I'm not saying the font currently used on www.apache.org is the best
> choice. I was making a particular point to Nick, who is a little bit
> of a purest (for reasons I fully understand). I agree that the font is
> a little too small and the background would look better in white.
>
>>  As far as modern design is concerned, it simply isn't true that
>>  cropping all the images on the page when the window is shrunk is
>>  better than establishing a fixed minimum for the design.  Scrollbars
>>  work better than missing content.
>
> www.apache.org doesn't do the cropping. I made that change for Nick.
>
> Which just goes to show why I stated in my original email that I
> wasn't interested in nitpicking the design with a bunch of back-seat
> quarterbacks. Everyone has different opinions about what constitutes
> good design. I was trying to adopt something that had a pretty-obvious
> consensus positive opinion.

Just because the PRC is happy to redesign www.apache.org without so much
as a whisper on the site-dev list does not mean there was consensus.  It
is difficult to adjust www.apache.org because of the overlapping
stylesheets
are fairly screwed for edits.  In any case, I've got way better
things to
do then this.

>>  So, in short, -1.  The logo will not change without a full vote of
>>  the PMC
>
> When was the last time the PMC had a "full vote" on anything?

Whenever someone votes -1 on a CTR documentation change.  Have you
forgotten that we have guidelines?

> But if you are feeling that obstructionist about it, that is fine with
> me. I'll drop the whole thing.

Stop your whining.  You asked for objections and I gave mine.  If you
don't like them and want to continue, then prototype what you actually
want and put it to vote.  If it isn't worth doing that, then don't.
Don't try to make me feel guilty just because I have an opinion.

....Roy

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2008, at 5:42 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > What are you talking about Roy? I don't want to get into this
> > argument, but just checking one of the those three example sites (the
> > last one), I found all three of the "flaws" that Nick was after: does
> > not reflow properly for very-small screens, sets font size to 62.5% of
> > the user's default, and uses the transitional DOCTYPE.
> >

>  I am talking about your vague handwaving about small font == modern.
>  That's a load of crap.  If you look at pages that have been designed
>  by actual designers, they don't use a bunch of tiny fonts for the
>  primary content (only for things like legal fine print/credits).

The pages you pointed to as examples used <100% for their default text
fonts (at least the ones I checked). If you're trying to make an
empirical argument, start by checking the data.

I'm not saying the font currently used on www.apache.org is the best
choice. I was making a particular point to Nick, who is a little bit
of a purest (for reasons I fully understand). I agree that the font is
a little too small and the background would look better in white.

>  As far as modern design is concerned, it simply isn't true that
>  cropping all the images on the page when the window is shrunk is
>  better than establishing a fixed minimum for the design.  Scrollbars
>  work better than missing content.

www.apache.org doesn't do the cropping. I made that change for Nick.

Which just goes to show why I stated in my original email that I
wasn't interested in nitpicking the design with a bunch of back-seat
quarterbacks. Everyone has different opinions about what constitutes
good design. I was trying to adopt something that had a pretty-obvious
consensus positive opinion.

>  So, in short, -1.  The logo will not change without a full vote of
>  the PMC

When was the last time the PMC had a "full vote" on anything?

But if you are feeling that obstructionist about it, that is fine with
me. I'll drop the whole thing.

>  If you want to improve other things
>  about our site, then go ahead and test out those other things.
>  I'll bet that you can completely change the look and feel of the
>  site without touching the logo and without using tiny fonts,
>  and while you are at it please remove the stupid ApacheCon ad.

No way am I playing that game. Our docs have always worked under the
rule that the person who does the work gets to make the decisions.
That is important both to encourage people to take on these tasks, and
because docs changes aren't verifiable and testable like code changes.
They often come down to taste. Trying to satisfy everyone's taste on
website design is a hopeless black-hole of time and energy, and I'm
not interested.

By the way, I am in complete agreement that the three sites you posted
as examples have a design far superior to either the old or new design
we are talking about (although I can't imagine any of them are very
usable on your Blackberry). What's the difference? Two things: some
serious skills and effort in graphic design, plus significant work to
meld the design and content. The design from www.apache.org lived
within the existing content structure.

It would be great to see someone really rethink the site (necessarily
both content and design) to get to something truly better. But of
course, if they have to pass the Roy taste test at the end, there is
little incentive to start.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Apr 23, 2008, at 5:42 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:
> What are you talking about Roy? I don't want to get into this
> argument, but just checking one of the those three example sites (the
> last one), I found all three of the "flaws" that Nick was after: does
> not reflow properly for very-small screens, sets font size to 62.5% of
> the user's default, and uses the transitional DOCTYPE.

I am talking about your vague handwaving about small font == modern.
That's a load of crap.  If you look at pages that have been designed
by actual designers, they don't use a bunch of tiny fonts for the
primary content (only for things like legal fine print/credits).
I don't change the scale of my fonts on my browser because I don't
have to -- the modern sites I use don't have tiny fonts and the
crappy ones (like bankofamerica.com) can be adjusted with command-+.

I certainly didn't suggest that every font in the CSS needs to be
enlarged -- just the main content.  It is not readable on my screen.
That is not open to your opinion.  Helvetica Neue is readable at
12pt and 14pt, not at 0.8em or 0.75% of 14pt.  I'd tell you
exactly which one is unreadable but the layering is too friggin
complex to tell whether the 0.8em or 75% is winning.

As far as modern design is concerned, it simply isn't true that
cropping all the images on the page when the window is shrunk is
better than establishing a fixed minimum for the design.  Scrollbars
work better than missing content.  Even better than that is a
separate stylesheet for small screens.  When I access www.apache.org
now with my blackberry, it looks like crap compared to the old design
(which can still be seen on projects.apache.org).  The new design
doesn't even show our logo.

So, in short, -1.  The logo will not change without a full vote of
the PMC (it has been the same since 1995, predates the ASF, and
establishes the feather mark way back in Internet time which is
very important because we never registered the marks).  It is not
supposed to be the same feather as the ASF logo.  The background

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > I know all these arguments, and I'm not going to get into them, except
> > to say that the vast majority of websites on the internet share every
> > one of these "flaws". Two small changes to the CSS got rid of the
> > font-size and reflow issue, as you can see from
> > http://people.apache.org/~slive/httpd-site/docs/
> > But I think most people would agree that this design looks less
> > "modern". Why? Because on the real internet, so many sites use a
> > smaller-than-default font size, that users think of the small size as
> > the real default and adjust their expectations and browser settings
> > accordingly.
> >

>  WTF?  No they don't.
>
>    http://modrails.com/index.html
>    http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/
>    http://wordpress.org/
>
>  Bad design is just bad, not modern.  I think these choices look remedial
>  on the ASF site, but I'm too busy to do better.  They look bad on a more
>  technical site like httpd.a.o (where I have already done better).

What are you talking about Roy? I don't want to get into this
argument, but just checking one of the those three example sites (the
last one), I found all three of the "flaws" that Nick was after: does
not reflow properly for very-small screens, sets font size to 62.5% of
the user's default, and uses the transitional DOCTYPE.

Whatever.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:04:09 -0400
"Joshua Slive" <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:

> Here is a rough cut
> http://people.apache.org/~slive/httpd-site/docs/
> The links don't work, but you can type in the URLs with the obvious
> adjustment to see other pages.

-1 as-is.  Wearing my (admittedly old) web QA and accessibility hat.

First, if we're updating, then please don't let the update be
pre-1998 legacy (aka "transitional") markup.

Second, and more important, it loses the (imperfect but decent)
cleanness and accessibility of the current site.  The page has
lost flexibility, so the right hand side - including all the
useful links - disappears off the browser below a certain width.
And the smallprint is hard on the eye: body text should be what
the user has selected as comfortable to read.  And (to me) the

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:15:48 -0500
"Webmaster" <we...@htaccesselite.com> wrote:

> The main thing that makes it look basd is the clashing boldness of the
> purple and red fonts against a light black font that doesn't look so
> good against all that tan.
>
> Just little tweaks and it will look awesome, but I have to tell you I
> am put off by that tan background..   It would look better perhaps to
> make the right and left page margins white or something like that..
> this is frontpage '98 reminiscent.

Thank you.  I think you've pinpointed my aesthetic objections
which (not being in any sense a "designer" myself) I wasn't
able to articulate with specificity.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/

RE: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Webmaster <we...@htaccesselite.com>.
I like the top grey bar, thats at a high level, same with the feather and
general layout.  The search box, and lists on the right are also good
position wise.

The main thing that makes it look basd is the clashing boldness of the
purple and red fonts against a light black font that doesn't look so good
against all that tan.

Just little tweaks and it will look awesome, but I have to tell you I am put
off by that tan background..   It would look better perhaps to make the
right and left page margins white or something like that.. this is frontpage
'98 reminiscent.

Considering you don't have time to get the minute things perfect off the
bat, I really like it. But as apache.org it should be at the highest level,
like w3.org

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 04/23/2008 10:04 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:
> Any objections to adopting the new www.apache.org site design? The
> httpd site is looking a little dated, in my opinion.

Thanks for picking this up. Do it. Details can be adjusted later.

> I'm not interested in getting into a long debate about the details of
> the design. (Although people are welcome to play around after it is
> committed.) I just grabbed exactly what is being used for
> www.apache.org and made a few small changes to adapt to our site.
>
> There www.apache.org redesign changed the semantics of the xml a
> little bit, so there may be some adjustments required on the site.
> (For example, the main heading for the page now comes from the first
> <section> title rather than the <title> in the header.

Does this mean we need to adjust our documentation xml files as well?

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Lucien GENTIS <lu...@lorraine.iufm.fr>.
Joshua Slive a écrit :
> Any objections to adopting the new www.apache.org site design? The
> httpd site is looking a little dated, in my opinion.

Perhaps a little dated, but so clear and efficient, . . . , looked good
to me  :'(

But don't let us cry and pouring tears, let's go ahead :-)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:
> Any objections to adopting the new www.apache.org site design? The
>  httpd site is looking a little dated, in my opinion.

+1 to switching.

Those who are complaining know where the source is and they can
improve upon it themselves if they so desire.  Until then, sure, this
design is, IMO, more accessible than what's there now.  -- justin

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Jason Lingohr <ja...@lucid.net.au>.
Jason Lingohr wrote:
> Joshua Slive wrote:
>> Any objections to adopting the new www.apache.org site design? The
>> httpd site is looking a little dated, in my opinion.
>>

> I'm iffy on it at this moment -- I have a long weekend coming up
> (thankyou for all your efforts diggers!), and I'll look over it a bit
> more then.

Ok... now having directly compared -current to to Joshua's mockup -- I'm
+1 for the change as well.

To throw my little bit in on style -- I don't like the top "ribbon"
links thing, never have.  Apart from that, I like to see nice lines
underneath sections in the news-type part, but the two things above can
be thrashed out later on.

Re: adopt www.apache.org site design

Posted by Jason Lingohr <ja...@lucid.net.au>.