Posted to user@giraph.apache.org by Marco Aurelio Barbosa Fagnani Lotz <m....@stu12.qmul.ac.uk> on 2013/08/14 15:02:27 UTC

Dynamic Graphs

Hello all,

I would like to know if there is any form to use dynamic graphs with Giraph. By dynamic one can read graphs that may change while Giraph is computing/deliberating. The changes are in the input file and are not caused by the graph computation itself.

Is there any way to analyse it using Giraph? If not, anyone has any idea/suggestion if it is possible to modify the framework in order to process it?

Best Regards,
Marco Lotz

Re: Dynamic Graphs

Posted by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Claudio, and Marco

thanks for your comments!

I also see the problem of latency in this case and I would like to have a
"generic method" which than is implemented maybe on two levels. The loose
coupled one with workflows (maybe Oozie) which just reload the graph (no
injection) and another one with high integration which allows injection of
incoming new data from outside or even after an external procedure was
triggers. The most obvious way for the injection would be a low latency
request to an HBase cluster to update node or edge properties on the fly or
even the integration of Impala (later on which is again more fare away or
more decoupled).
I am not sure, what the real useful approach is, so I think a generic
description of the three modes will be the first step of finishing this
"possible design" phase. Implementation should start close to the way how
Claudio explains his view on injection.

Claudio, and Marco, would you be interested in the review of the current
manuscript paper for a paper or even in collaborating on it to make it part
of Giraph?

I am not sure if it fits well, but it could be something like a vision
document for next steps / development stages. And it could also be a
contribution to upcoming conferences / meetings.

Best wishes
Mirko

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Claudio Martella <claudio.martella@gmail.com

Mirko Kämpf

*Trainer* @ Cloudera

tel: +49 *176 20 63 51 99*
skype: *kamir1604*
mirko@cloudera.com

Re: Dynamic Graphs

Posted by Claudio Martella <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mirko,

--
   Claudio Martella
   claudio.martella@gmail.com

RE: Dynamic Graphs

Posted by Marco Aurelio Barbosa Fagnani Lotz <m....@stu12.qmul.ac.uk>.
Hello all,

Answering Mr. Kampf question: In my personal opinion this tool would be indeed really useful, since many of the real-world graphs are dynamic.
I have just finished a report of my research in the subject. The report is available at:

https://github.com/MarcoLotz/dynamicGraph/blob/master/LotzReport.pdf?raw=true

There is a first application that can do this injection. I am working in the minor modifications that are proposed in the document right now. It is described in section 2.7
The previous sections just describes some experiences that I had with Giraph and an introduction to the scenario.

Best Regards,
Marco Lotz
________________________________

mirko@cloudera.com<ma...@cloudera.com>