Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gabriel Mihalache <ga...@fx.ro> on 2002/06/18 23:52:30 UTC

one context per server

is there a way to share a single JNDI context for all webapps?
can this context be accesible thru getServletContext() ?!

=====================================
Oh, no! Not me! I never lost control /
You're face to face /
With the man who sold the world - David Bowie

Re: is there only static objects in Tomcat?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Ray Letts wrote:

> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:00:23 -0700
> From: Ray Letts <rl...@etc.bc.ca>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: is there only static objects in Tomcat?
>

> I read a previous thread where someone stated that: "you know that
> Tomcat creates all objects as static?"

There is no such thing as "creating an object as static".  You might be
confusing this with creating a single instance of a servlet, which is
shared across all requests to that servlet.

Fundamentally, this means you cannot use static or instance variables in
our servlet class to maintain per-request state information.  Use local
variables in our methods, or pass things around as request attributes, in
order to deal with this.

Craig

is there only static objects in Tomcat?

Posted by Ray Letts <rl...@etc.bc.ca>.
I read a previous thread where someone stated that: "you know that
Tomcat creates all objects as static?"

So then, if user A contacts a servlet via Tomcat that creates a person
object and stuffs some personal info in it

and user B later contacts the same servlet via Tomcat that creates a
person object and stuffs some personal info in it

that the person object is only created ONCE
and
that the personal info from user A is overwritten by user B's request?

that is my understanding of STATIC. Is this how Tomcat implements object
creation? I guess it makes sense in the stateless web ....

thanks in advance

Ray

Re: one context per server

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Gabriel Mihalache wrote:

> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 00:52:30 +0300
> From: Gabriel Mihalache <ga...@fx.ro>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: one context per server
>
> is there a way to share a single JNDI context for all webapps?

Not with the standard implementation -- the JNDI context that Tomcat
provides is populated with the resources for that webapp, which can
potentially all be different.

With Tomcat 4.1.x, you can pretty easily share JNDI-accessed resources by
putting them in the <GlobalJNDIResources> element of server.xml, and
creating a <ResourceLink> element for each webapp -- so, for example, you
could declare a data source once and use it in multiple apps.

> can this context be accesible thru getServletContext() ?!

Nothing stops you from storing the JNDI initial context you get back as a
servlet context attribute, but it seems redundant to me -- the thing is
already accessible from anywhere in your code.

Craig