Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/02 13:19:42 UTC

What does flink session mean ?

Hi Folks,

When I read the flink client api code, the concept of session is a little
vague and unclear to me. It looks like the session concept is only applied
in batch mode (I only see it in ExecutionEnvironment but not in
StreamExecutionEnvironment). But for local mode
(LocalExecutionEnvironment), starting one new session is starting one new
MiniCluster, but in remote mode (RemoteExecutionEnvironment), starting one
new session is just starting one new ClusterClient instead of one new
cluster. So I am confused what does flink session really mean. Could anyone
help me understand this ? Thanks.

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang

Re: What does flink session mean ?

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
Yes, interactive programming solves the problem by storing the meta
information on the client whereas in the past we thought whether to keep
the information on the JM. But this would then not allow to share results
between different clusters. Thus, the interactive programming approach is a
bit more general, I think.

Cheers,
Till

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.