Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Roman Neuhauser <ne...@bellavista.cz> on 2003/10/13 07:42:10 UTC

svn: Ran out of unique names

what is the cause of this message? how do I get rid of it? I'm getting
it from apache-spawned svn process when trying to get a diff. it works
just fine if I request the same diff in the shell.

svn: Ran out of unique names
svn: svn_io_open_unique_file: unable to make name for 'tmp'

hmm, looks like just about any `svn diff` run from apache causes this
error.

Re: svn: Ran out of unique names

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # mbk@lowlatency.com / 2003-10-13 17:31:45 -0400:

>>That error message means "tried to create tmp.1, tmp.2, tmp.3, ...
>>tmp.999999, and couldn't create any of them".
>
>     I know what the error means. Sorry to ask such badly worded
>     questions.

>     I investigated the source (BTW, there's a typo in the
>     doxygen comment, it says at one point that the second-attempt file
>     will have "1" tacked onto the end, but it's "2").

Thanks for pointing that out.  Fix in r7427.

>     It would be a lot better if the message contained full path to the
>     file.

Yes, that would be better.  I will aim to do that some time soon.

- Julian

Posted by Roman Neuhauser <ne...@bellavista.cz>.
# mbk@lowlatency.com / 2003-10-13 17:31:45 -0400:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 03:26:18PM -0500, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> > Roman Neuhauser <ne...@bellavista.cz> writes:
> > > what is the cause of this message? how do I get rid of it? I'm getting
> > > it from apache-spawned svn process when trying to get a diff. it works
> > > just fine if I request the same diff in the shell.
> > >
> > > svn: Ran out of unique names
> > > svn: svn_io_open_unique_file: unable to make name for 'tmp'
> > >
> > > hmm, looks like just about any `svn diff` run from apache causes this
> > > error.
> >

> Is it possible that your apache process doesn't have write access
> to the working dir in which the diff was executed?

    That was it. I got confused by the fact that it worked the day
    before. I probably made some permission changes without testing them
    properly. But why does it create a local tempfile if I request a
    diff between two revisions of a remote url? I guess the diff
    received from the server is stuffed away in the tempfile before
    getting displayed, right?

> That error message means "tried to create tmp.1, tmp.2, tmp.3, ...
> tmp.999999, and couldn't create any of them".

    I know what the error means. Sorry to ask such badly worded
    questions. I investigated the source (BTW, there's a typo in the
    doxygen comment, it says at one point that the second-attempt file
    will have "1" tacked onto the end, but it's "2"). I just didn't know
    what exactly is causing it to be called at all.

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 03:26:18PM -0500, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Roman Neuhauser <ne...@bellavista.cz> writes:
> > what is the cause of this message? how do I get rid of it? I'm getting
> > it from apache-spawned svn process when trying to get a diff. it works
> > just fine if I request the same diff in the shell.
> >
> > svn: Ran out of unique names
> > svn: svn_io_open_unique_file: unable to make name for 'tmp'
> >
> > hmm, looks like just about any `svn diff` run from apache causes this
> > error.

Is it possible that your apache process doesn't have write access
to the working dir in which the diff was executed?

That error message means "tried to create tmp.1, tmp.2, tmp.3, ...
tmp.999999, and couldn't create any of them".

Another possibility is that something has been leaving those temp
files behind, but I suspect that if you had one million leaked inodes
you'd know about it. :-)

--ben

Re: svn: Ran out of unique names

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Roman Neuhauser <ne...@bellavista.cz> writes:
> what is the cause of this message? how do I get rid of it? I'm getting
> it from apache-spawned svn process when trying to get a diff. it works
> just fine if I request the same diff in the shell.
>
> svn: Ran out of unique names
> svn: svn_io_open_unique_file: unable to make name for 'tmp'
>
> hmm, looks like just about any `svn diff` run from apache causes this
> error.

Don't know -- haven't seen this one before.  We're going to need a lot
of detail to debug it; see the file BUGS in the top level of the
Subversion tree for guidelines.

Thanks,
-Karl