Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net> on 2003/02/02 02:17:06 UTC

Cocoon 2.0.5-Dev snapshot, Was: Sitemap-Engine for 2.0.5

Timothy Larson wrote:

>Any chance snapshots of the CVS 2.0.5-dev could be made
>just like the snapshots of CVS HEAD so mere mortals such
>as myself could get easy access to the fixes going into stable
>branch?

Here it is, for temporary consumption:
    http://www.apache.org/~vgritsenko/xml-cocoon-205-dev-20030201.tar.gz

>  (Carrot: it would get more testing before release :)

(Now, when I went so far and made it, you just *have to* do more testing ;)

Vadim

Re: Cocoon 2.0.5-Dev snapshot, Was: Sitemap-Engine for 2.0.5

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 03.Feb.2003 -- 08:51 AM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> >>I don't know how dailies are built, but I can set up automated snapshots
> >>for stable branch by myself. Is there enough interest?
> >
> >+1... They should be distributed from

+1 this is a good idea and has been requested from users a couple of times.

> And the last one... WE STILL HAVE CVS SNAPSHOTS OF THE COCOON1??? 8-(     )
> :)))

Cool d8-D

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: Cocoon 2.0.5-Dev snapshot, Was: Sitemap-Engine for 2.0.5

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Vadim Gritsenko" <va...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Pier Fumagalli wrote:

>>> nah, let's nuke it. the CVS is still there, if somebody really wants to
>>> build Cocoon 1.x, he/she'll be smart enough to get it from CVS.
>>>

>> Gone! :-)
>>

> I guess we have to regenerate Cocoon 1 site (see
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon1/install.html, Snapshots in the nav bar).

Yup... Volunteers?

    Pier

Re: Cocoon 2.0.5-Dev snapshot, Was: Sitemap-Engine for 2.0.5

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>>> And the last one... WE STILL HAVE CVS SNAPSHOTS OF THE COCOON1???
>>> 8-(     )
>>> :)))
>>>

>> Should I remove those?
>>

> It has not been changed in more then a year :)
> I suggest let's save CPU cycles. We can leave one snapshot though.

nah, let's nuke it. the CVS is still there, if somebody really wants to
build Cocoon 1.x, he/she'll be smart enough to get it from CVS.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>
    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate [William of Ockham]

Re: Cocoon 2.0.5-Dev snapshot, Was: Sitemap-Engine for 2.0.5

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

>"Vadim Gritsenko" <va...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>>Several things... Snapshot directory is not writable by group:
>>
>>vgritsenko@icarus /www/cvs.apache.org/snapshots/xml-cocoon2 $ ls -la
>>total 93562
>>drwxr-xr-x   2 apmail  xml         512 Feb  3 04:12 .
>>
>>So I can't really do anything unless you fix it.
>>

>Fixed...

Thanks! :)

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

>"Vadim Gritsenko" <va...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>>Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>>

>>>Actually, I modified your script, it's now in
>>>/www/cvs.apache.org/snapshots/xml-cocoon2/.snapshot/snapshot.sh...
>>>

>>... and came admin and spoiled the party... I hate when it happens!
>>;-)))

>PS. Sorry for spoiling the party...
>PPS. Sorry for spoiling the party...
>PPPS. Sorry for spoiling the party...
>PPPPS. Sorry for spoiling the party...
>PPPPPS. Sorry for spoiling the party...
>PPPPPPS. Sorry for spoiling the party...
>PPPPPPPS. Sorry for spoiling the party...
>PPPPPPPPS. Sorry for spoiling the party...
>PPPPPPPPPS. Sorry for spoiling the party...

LOL

Vadim

Re: Cocoon 2.0.5-Dev snapshot, Was: Sitemap-Engine for 2.0.5

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Vadim Gritsenko" <va...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
>> "Vadim Gritsenko" <va...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Don't worry, I've done the script. Here is first result:
>>>
>>> http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/xml-cocoon2/
>>>

>> Good! :-) Just a couple of things: add a UMASK definition at the beginning
>> of your script to 002, and do both of the branches (2.0 and head)... I just
>> removed both of them from APMAIL so that we can control them and stuff...
>>
>> Actually, I modified your script, it's now in
>> /www/cvs.apache.org/snapshots/xml-cocoon2/.snapshot/snapshot.sh...
>>
>> I'd rather do everything in /www because there's not much disk space in
>> user's homes, and then I also changed things around a little bit...
>>
>> Look up at the page, and tell me what you guys think, I have the script in
>> my crontab (so, Vadim, remove it from yours :-) and it runs at 2300 hours,
>> everyone should be able to modify it...
>>

> ... and came admin and spoiled the party... I hate when it happens!
> ;-)))

Whops, sorry! :-) I had a spare 5 minutes over tea break this afternoon! :-)

Seriously, it is because I want to free up /home on icarus, as there's not
much space left over there, while there still is in /www, and roughly I have
access to

Keeping roughly 60/70 megs in home dirs is _bad_ at the moment...

> PS I've removed it from my crontab.

Remember to remove the checkout from your home, please, or Brian will kill
us! :-)

> PPS Page looks great to me. Thanks for those .htaccess changes.

Thanks...

    Pier

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Vadim Gritsenko" <va...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Several things... Snapshot directory is not writable by group:
>
> vgritsenko@icarus /www/cvs.apache.org/snapshots/xml-cocoon2 $ ls -la
> total 93562
> drwxr-xr-x   2 apmail  xml         512 Feb  3 04:12 .
>
> So I can't really do anything unless you fix it.

Fixed...

> Also, if you send me current apmail cronjob, I'll improve on it instead
> of starting from scratch.

Hm... That script doesn't do what we want... There should be one in the
mod_webapp CVS to do that... I'll check...

> And the last one... WE STILL HAVE CVS SNAPSHOTS OF THE COCOON1??? 8-(     )
> :)))

Should I remove those?

    Pier

Re: Cocoon 2.0.5-Dev snapshot, Was: Sitemap-Engine for 2.0.5

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Vadim Gritsenko" <va...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> This makes sense from our developper point of view. But from the
>> user's one, who occasionally wants to have the latest bug fixes from
>> the stable branch, having to checkout a particular branch may not be
>> that intuitive.
>>
>> How is built the daily snapshot ? Couldn't we have daily snapshots for
>> both branches ?
>
> I don't know how dailies are built, but I can set up automated snapshots
> for stable branch by myself. Is there enough interest?

+1... They should be distributed from
http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/xml-cocoon2/ to be consistent, and if we
_really_ want to do that nicely, we shall have some naming like:

xml-cocoon2-head-yyyymmdd.tar.gz
xml-cocoon2-2.0-yyyymmdd.tar.gz

And a nice README.html explaining what/why! :-)

Currently, the snapshots are generated by the "apmail" user, but I have
access to it, so if we want something "better" I can remove the automated
generation made there...

>>> Personally, I prefer "branching out" old releases...
>
> Same here.

+1...

    Pier

Re: Cocoon 2.0.5-Dev snapshot, Was: Sitemap-Engine for 2.0.5

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sunday 02 February 2003 23:49, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> It depends on what you want to do, "branch out" old releases and let their
> branch "die" slowly, or "branch in" (merge) new ones when they become
> mainstream.... (for example, if we think about branch-ins when 2.1 becomes
> "main version" we'll have to merge it back into head)...
>
> Personally, I prefer "branching out" old releases... But anyway when
> subversion will come, there's not going to be this problem anymore :-)

I have been working with both systems independently, and also with both
systems concurrently (huhh?).

Branch out old releases works well, provided that the branch's modifications
will be built for the users, so they don't have to understand branching in
CVS. That is fairly simple to do.

Branching out new stuff works best for "experimental sections", where one or a
few developers are working together on something that are perhaps going into
mainstream later.

Niclas

Re: Cocoon 2.0.5-Dev snapshot, Was: Sitemap-Engine for 2.0.5

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.