Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Michael Szalay <mi...@basis06.ch> on 2012/04/19 17:37:14 UTC

HttpClient cutting off big request?

Hi all

we have an application that uses HttpClient 3.1 (built into Apache ServiceMix) to send large requests to a database over http PUT.

When a PUT requests become really big (> 0.5 MBbyte), there is the following error:

16:49:39,581 | DEBUG | ile://data/tx/in | HttpMethodDirector               | 158 - org.apache.servicemix.bundles.commons-httpclient - 3.1.0.6 | Connection reset
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:113)[:1.6.0_24]
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:153)[:1.6.0_24]
        at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java:82)[:1.6.0_24]
        at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.write(BufferedOutputStream.java:121)[:1.6.0_24]
        at java.io.FilterOutputStream.write(FilterOutputStream.java:97)[:1.6.0_24]
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.WireLogOutputStream.write(WireLogOutputStream.java:86)[158:org.apache.servicemix.bundles.commons-httpclient:3.1.0.6]

The server sends a http 400 Illegal request response.
When I use wireshark to look at the tcp stream, I see that httpClient is cutting of the body of the PUT request.

Is there a limit that can be configured for the max size to put?

Regards Michael

--
Michael Szalay
Senior Software Engineer

basis06 AG, Birkenweg 61, CH-3013 Bern - Fon +41 31 311 32 22
http://www.basis06.ch - source of smart business