Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Brian Lundell <bl...@timeindustrial.com> on 2003/07/28 18:00:03 UTC

ideas on extending jmeter

Hi!

I'm looking for ideas on how to do something that right now, I believe I have to extend JMeter to do.

After sending an XML request, I need to parse thousands of fields from the XML returned by the server.  I believe that because of the numbers it is unreasonable to use regular expressions to get these values...especially since the number of fields will change.  I believe it would be ideal if I could write a function or even a sampler to do this.  The reason I'm thinking a sampler would be better is because there are no functions that currently send requests (that I've seen).  I'm thinking either way would be possible, but I guess I'm looking for an answer of how I should do this that is in line with how JMeter is intended to be used.

If there is another way of doing this that I haven't considered, I'd love to hear it!  Thanks for the help!

Brian

Re: ideas on extending jmeter

Posted by ms...@apache.org.
Hi,
    Can you describe what you're planning more completely?  You say you
want to parse XML results sent back from the server - you can do that in a
Post-Processor, an Assertion, or a Listener.  The question is, what do you
want to do with the data after parsing it?  Use it in subsequent requests?
Then you'd probably want to use a Post-Processor to parse the results and
store values in JMeter's context.

If you want to display info to the user based on this, you'd want to write a new
visualizer.  If you want to verify something about the response, you could
extend the already existing XML Assertion (which simply verifies the response
XML is valid XML).

If you want to use it to generate new requests, then that is a problem,
because JMeter doesn't currently have a means of dynamically creating new
requests (dynamically modifying, yes, creating, no).

-Mike

On 28 Jul 2003 at 10:00, Brian Lundell wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm looking for ideas on how to do something that right now, I believe I have
to extend JMeter to do.

> After sending an XML request, I need to parse thousands of fields from the
XML returned by the server.  I believe that because of the numbers it is
unreasonable to use regular expressions to get these values...especially
since the number of fields will change.  I believe it would be ideal if I could
write a function or even a sampler to do this.  The reason I'm thinking a
sampler would be better is because there are no functions that currently send
requests (that I've seen).  I'm thinking either way would be possible, but I
guess I'm looking for an answer of how I should do this that is in line with how
JMeter is intended to be used.

> If there is another way of doing this that I haven't considered, I'd love to hear
it!  Thanks for the help!

> Brian

Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org
Yahoo IM: mstover_ya
ICQ: 152975688
AIM: mstover777

RE: ideas on extending jmeter

Posted by Dan Brown <db...@pingtel.com>.
Hello,

Have you thought of using xslt to parse the results for you?  If you are
using something like Tomcat, you can write a custom tag to merge the xml
results with a xslt stylsheet to have the results parsed for you.  You
can also look into using JSLT to handle the parsing of the xml document
via xslt.

Hope this helps,
Dan Brown