Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Taras <ta...@shaw.ca> on 2004/05/21 21:29:16 UTC

svnlook & perl question

Hello,
I'm looking for some clues on how to get subversion to tell me what's in
a repository. So far I've been using svnlook to show me changed files in
a particular revision. However it behaves strangely on directory renames.
For example renaming a dir "zoo" with 2 files in it to "a0" produces the
following changes
A   vancouver_island/a0/
D   vancouver_island/zoo/

So I'm at all at how to catch directory renames. If one tries to do
multiple directory renames in one commit, how would my script be able to
figure out which directories got renamed?

I also tried to use svnlook tree command, but it produces strange
version numbers and I'm not sure how to handle them. Is there any
documentation explaining the format of the revision strings?
I looked into the perl bindings but there is next to no documentation on
them and the code seems pretty hard to understand. is there an example
anywhere on how to list all files in a repository using pure perl?

Taras

Re: svnlook & perl question

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 16:29, Taras wrote:

> A   vancouver_island/a0/
> D   vancouver_island/zoo/

That's because a subversion move is actually a copy + delete.

If you run 'svn log -v', you'll see much the same thing, except that you
can tell a copy from a normal add because it shows the copy source.

 D /trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc/get_editor.c
 A /trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc/update_editor.c
                (from /trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc/get_editor.c:1315)

By the way, if you just want to "browse" a repository, that's why we
have the 'svn ls' command, or svn_client_list() API.