Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Terry Cox <te...@meta-concepts.com> on 2006/07/13 16:05:02 UTC

Libraries and deployment

I would like to kick off a discussion about the issues involved around
libraries when deploying ServiceMix applications.

As can be seen from recent messages in the forum, a set of libraries
must exist within $SERVICEMIX_HOME/lib and $SERVICEMIX_HOME/lib/optional
to support both the operation of direct components like lwcontainer and
the indirect requirements of user components and POJOs deployed within
the container.

This behaviour is project-specific (as any given assembly will have it's
own set of dependent libs), however it requires changes to occur within
the lib directory of an installed instance of ServiceMix.

Additionally, it would seem that the jbi:servicemix task can't actually
work, because it instantiates a container programatically from
servicemix-core and thus has no installed lib folder from which to load
dependencies.

Really, Maven should be used to resolve the library dependencies of a
given project at build time and create a lib folder that can be deployed
with the service assembly.

As it stands, ServiceMix only seems to be aware of one lib folder,
parallel to the bin folder within the installation, however it can
happily use deploy and install folders in any current working directory.

For jbi:servicemix to run any application, the component build must
output a set of dependencies and some pre-goal of jbi:servicemix ought
to create a lib folder in target/servicemix, populated with the required
libraries.

Anyone got an alternative suggestion that fits better?

Terry

Re: Libraries and deployment

Posted by Philip Dodds <ph...@gmail.com>.
The dependency management can cause issues when using servicemix.xml simply
-  however when you build in a Service Assemly/Service Unit/Shared Library
approach then the Maven plugin should be able to help you determine and
correctly package your components :)

Can you explain the dependency management issues a little?

Cheers

Posted by Terry Cox <te...@meta-concepts.com>.

Posted by Philip Dodds <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kit Plummer <ch...@raytheon.com>.