Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Martin Carel <ma...@pricerunner.com> on 2006/02/05 16:27:27 UTC

Re: contrib:Table : advices requested [bug identified]

Hi!

I figured out the reason for my ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException when
clicking on the links (which are in fact DirectLink components) of the
contrib:Table component, in an attempt to either paginate or sort a column.

In my application I have a servlet filter which filters all incoming
requests and wraps them into a custom HttpRequest. Duringn this process,
the filter takes all query strings parameters and put them into a Map.
The DirectLink components of the contrib:Table component uses service
parameters in order to know the component address and the column to
sort. Those are service parameters (with the same parameter name "sp").
Therefore, because of the custom filter, only one parameter was kept
(since a Map object uses unique keys) and thus the second parameter
(with the same parameter name "sp") was lost and quite naturally could
never reach the DirectLink's listener method (either the sorting one of
the paginating one)!

Note: Earlier, I was concerned about porting the Tap3 contrib:Table
examples
(https://tapestrywebcomponentexamples.dev.java.net/files/documents/2449/8568/TapestryTables.war)
to Tap4. No more concerns. The contrib:Table component does port to Tap4
without problems.

Thank you for the help, again!

Best regards,

Martin Carel

Martin Carel wrote:
> [...]
> paging and sorting listeners being called before pageBeginRender().
> I did try what you proposed, but I have the same problem as before. On
> first load, the table shows up as expected, but when paging or
> sorting, I have the ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException :(
>
> Note: even if the storedDOsList property was persistent in the
> session, I couldn't see it in the HttpSession section of the Tapestry
> exception page!
>
> I am still using a String to define my columns, and I will try to
> define them using ITableColumnModel instead (as it seemed to work for
> Daniel Lydiard). Let's see where it gets me... feel free to comment,
> of course.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin
>
> Mind Bridge wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The reason for the problem is that the data is not provided using a
>> true lazy loading, but is initializated in pageBeginRender instead.
>> Since listeners are invoked before pageBeginRender (such as when the
>> table paging or sorting changes), the data is not ready yet and
>> problems occur.
>>
>> For the time being I would suggest to ignore pageBeginRender and
>> write a method instead:
>> public List<DO> getStoredDOsList() {
>>  List<DO> data = getDOsList();
>>  if(data == null){
>>    data = //get my data;
>>    setDOsList(data);
>>  }
>>  return data;
>> }
>>
>> Then change your table component to use source="ognl:storedDOsList".
>>
>> Does this work?
>>

>> Martin Carel wrote:
>>> Hi Mind Bridge,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the feedback. Here is my HTML template:

>>>            columns="carId:Car:carName, =datesColumn, =priceColumn"
>>>            rowsClass="ognl:beans.evenOdd.next" pageSize="10"
>>>            initialSortColumn="priceId">
>>>
>>> I tried to change a couple of things, since I was stuck. Now I'm
>>> using @Persist for my DOsList property, instead of using
>>> persist="session" in the page specification. And now I got my data
>>> in my session (I got the coma-separated addresses of my DO-typed
>>> objects within squared brakets on the Tapestry exception page -
>>> normal since this is a List object).  I also now have an abstract
>>> getter for my property, and I no more define the property per se. It
>>> looks like this in the Java page:
>>>
>>> @Persist
>>> public abstract List<DO> getDOsList();
>>> public abstract void setDOsList(List<DO> dOsList);
>>>
>>> and it looks like this in my pageBeginRender(PageEvent event):
>>>
>>> if(getDOsList() == null){    setDOsList(//get my data);
>>> }
>>>

>>> Now I'm back with the ArrayOutOfBoundsException when I click on a
>>> page or want to sort a column. The exception refers to line 183 of
>>> org.apache.tapestry.contrib.table.components.TablePages (see below):
>>>
>>> 170             public void changePage(IRequestCycle objCycle)
>>> 171            {
>>> 172            Object[] arrParameters =
>>> objCycle.getListenerParameters();
>>> 173            if (arrParameters.length != 2
>>> 174            && !(arrParameters[0] instanceof ComponentAddress)
>>> 175            && !(arrParameters[1] instanceof Integer))
>>> 176            {
>>> 177            // error
>>> 178            return;
>>> 179            }
>>> 180           181            ComponentAddress objAddress =
>>> (ComponentAddress) arrParameters[0];
>>> 182            ITableModelSource objSource = (ITableModelSource)
>>> objAddress.findComponent(objCycle);
>>> 183            setCurrentPage(objSource, ((Integer)
>>> arrParameters[1]).intValue());
>>> 184           185            // ensure that the change is saved
>>> 186            objSource.fireObservedStateChange();