Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Paden <ru...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/22 21:48:20 UTC

Connecting to a Solr server remotely

Hello,

I've set up a Solr server on my Linux Virtual Machine. Now I'm trying to
access it remotely on my Windows Machine using an http request from a
browser.

Any time I try to access it with a request such as
"http//localhost:8983/solr" I always get a connection error (with the server
running on the linux virtual machine, it's not a because I forgot to turn
the service on) I know that my server is probably set to take requests
specifically from my virtual machine so I need to change that.

>From the several hours of research I've done on the web it seems like I need
to change jetty.xml in the /etc/jetty directory. But others suggest I need
to make a change to solr.config itself. There's a lot of conflicting info
and it's pretty much got me randomly changing things in jetty.xml and
solr.config and nothing's worked as of yet.

If anybody has any idea how to get this to work I would greatly appreciate
it.

Re: Connecting to a Solr server remotely

Posted by Paden <ru...@gmail.com>.
That did it Shawn. Thanks for the help!

Re: Connecting to a Solr server remotely

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 6/22/2015 1:48 PM, Paden wrote:
> I've set up a Solr server on my Linux Virtual Machine. Now I'm trying to
> access it remotely on my Windows Machine using an http request from a
> browser.
>
> Any time I try to access it with a request such as
> "http//localhost:8983/solr" I always get a connection error (with the server

If you're trying to access it remotely, you can't use localhost.  That
will access the local Windows machine, not the remote Linux machine.
Use the IP address or DNS hostname of the actual machine that's running
Solr.  Make sure that the Linux machine either has the firewall turned
off or has an access rule configured in the firewall to allow the Solr
port through.

Thanks,
Shawn

RE: Connecting to a Solr server remotely

Posted by Paden <ru...@gmail.com>.
I checked to see if the firewall rules were blocking it and there were no
rules enabled and just to be sure I turned off the firewall completely and
it's still being blocked but I did get a message with netstat that might
help.

tcp6       0      0 :::8983                 :::*                    LISTEN

RE: Connecting to a Solr server remotely

Posted by Garth Grimm <Ga...@averyranchconsulting.com>.
Check the firewall settings on the Linux machine.

By default, mine block port 8983, so the request never even gets to Jetty/Solr.