Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Phillips <ma...@phillipsmarketing.biz> on 2005/12/13 00:32:42 UTC

Need help with deployment

I have Tomcat 5.5.9 running on a Linux server. I am having hard time deploying
war files remotely from my Linux desktop over the LAN. I have tried the
following:

1. Upload war file using tomcat manager
I can access the war file on my local machine using the tomcat manager from
the server. So, I select the war file and click on deploy. I get the error
message - FAIL - Deploy Upload Failed, Exception: null

Do I have a permissions problem? I am deploying to /var/webapps (root.root) on
the server from my local machine.

2. Deploy a local war file
I copy the war file to my local directory the server (not the appBase). I then
try to deploy the file:

Context: /HopiRockets

and I get the error message: FAIL - Failed to deploy application at context
path /HopiRockets

3. Copy the war file to /var/webapps/. Tomcat recognizes the application and
it runs correctly. However, the application is never unpacked, so it is slow.
The server.xml file is setup to automatically unpack the war file, but tomcat
never does.

<Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

Perhaps permission problem? /var/webapps is owned by root.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

--
Mark Phillips
Phillips Marketing, Inc

Re: Antwort: Need help with deployment

Posted by Mark Phillips <ma...@phillipsmarketing.biz>.
Yes, that was the problem. I changed the permissions and now it works as
advertised.

Thanks!

Mark

Posted by Jan Behrens <Ja...@offis.de>.