Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2009/09/04 01:26:56 UTC

Re: Impact of compressed=true attribute (in schema.xml) on Indexing/Query

: Now the question is, how the compressed=true flag impacts the indexing
: and Querying operations. I am sure that there will be CPU utilization
: spikes as there will be operation of compressing(during indexing) and
: uncompressing(during querying) of the indexed data. I am mainly looking
: for any bench marks for the above scenario.

i don't have any hard numbers for you, but the stored data isn't
uncompressed when executing aquery -- queries are executed against the
indexed terms (which are never compressed) ... the only time the data will
be uncompressed is when returning results to the client -- so if you set
rows=17 in your request, only the values for the 17 docs returned  (or
less if there were fewer then 17 matches) will be uncompressed.

-Hoss