Posted to dev@pirk.apache.org by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@apache.org> on 2016/10/01 00:14:47 UTC

Draft for Review - October Podling Report

Hi Guys,

Please find the draft podling report for October below -- please let me
know if you have any comments/suggestions/questions. I will post it to the
incubator wiki when everyone is happy with it.

Thanks!

Ellison Anne

PirkPirk is a framework for scalable Private Information Retrieval
(PIR).Pirk has been incubating since 2016-06-17. The initial code for
Pirk wasgranted on 2016-07-11.Three most important issues to address
in the move towards graduation:  1. Grow the community to establish
diversity of background and expertise.  2. Establish a formal release
process and schedule, allowing for dependable     release cycles in a
manner consistent with the Apache development     process.  3. Add to
and improve the Pirk user documentation and examples both on the
website and in the codebaseAny issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or
ASF Board wish/need to beaware of?  None.How has the community
developed since the last report?  We have attracted a couple of new
contributors since the last report. The mailing list activity, pull
requests, and page views to the Apache Pirk website (via Google
Analytics) have also increased since the last report.How has the
project developed since the last report?  The project is in the
process of completing it's second release, 0.2.0-incubating. The
project has also undertaken a refactor of some of the packages and
drivers and added additional user/developer documentation on the
website.Date of last release:  August 29, 2016When were the last
committers or PMC members elected?  Pirk elected two new committers
(Tim Ellison and Suneel Marthi, both  mentors) on August 18, 2016.

Re: Draft for Review - October Podling Report

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
On 07/10/16 14:33, Joe Witt wrote:
> We should avoid the debate about how likely the loss is but we should
> also point out how dubious this guidance appears to be in other
> communities that graduated.   Nah, let's not debate that either.  ;-)
>
> Pirk is a pretty specialized and awesome concept.  Whether the core
> committer base expands or not does remain to be seen.  As a mentor
> though what I'm watching above all right now is that the community is
> doing those things consistently which enable and allow such growth -
> demonstrating the apache way.

... and in case it wasn't clear, I think Pirk is doing a great job at that!

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
We should avoid the debate about how likely the loss is but we should
also point out how dubious this guidance appears to be in other
communities that graduated.   Nah, let's not debate that either.  ;-)

Pirk is a pretty specialized and awesome concept.  Whether the core
committer base expands or not does remain to be seen.  As a mentor
though what I'm watching above all right now is that the community is
doing those things consistently which enable and allow such growth -
demonstrating the apache way.

Thanks
Joe

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.