Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Jung, Eric (Contractor)" <ej...@russellmellon.com> on 2002/08/16 17:06:30 UTC

how to do one-time initialization

Hi,
I have some libraries I need to configure/initialize before my Axis web
services use them. What I've done is extend AxisServlet, override public
void init(), and then specify my subclass as the servlet in web.xml. Is
there a better way to do this, or is this normal?

  public class Servlet extends AxisServlet {

    public void init() {

      //initialize Axis
      super.init();
      //do initialization
    }
  }

Then in web.xml:
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>AxisServlet</servlet-name>
    <display-name>Apache-Axis Servlet</display-name>
    <servlet-class>mypackage.MyServlet</servlet-class>
  </servlet>

Thanks for your input,

Eric H. Jung
Contract Consultant