Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by peter royal <pr...@apache.org> on 2005/01/06 16:07:37 UTC

[SUMMARY] Logging in 2.2

On Jan 6, 2005, at 9:46 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hmm, I'm a little bit lost in this thread :(
>
> The easiest thing of course would be to just leave everything as it is
> and move to a different subject. But using a logging framework that
> noone else uses just feels not right for me.
>
> Has anyone a clue on how to procede?

* Cocoon currently uses the Avalon Framework logger abstraction
* Cocoon currently uses Logkit as the default underlying logging
implementation

(1) Developers wish to continue to use a logging abstraction within
Cocoon
(2) Developers wish to move away from Logkit as the default underlying
logging implementation

Choices for (1) are:
  * status-quo (Avalon Framework logging abstraction)
  * UGLI
  * commons-logging

Choices for (2) are:
  * JDK 1.4 Logging
  * log4j
  * status-quo (logkit)

I believe the main push might be for #2, so that users can configure a
logging system they are familiar with. The choice of #1 shouldn't
matter to most users.

-pete