Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Chad Gipson <ch...@sparta.com> on 2003/02/14 16:17:10 UTC

URI Directory Generator

I am trying to use Cocoon to return a directory listing of a web-uri. Is there an implementation that would allow me to pass an http://... formatted address and receive a xml-formatted directory listing in return. I am assuming that I would have to write a class similar to the current directory generator unless there is something already out there. Does anyone have any idea on how to proceed?

Chad Gipson
Cocoon newbie

Re: URI Directory Generator

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Chad Gipson wrote:
> I am trying to use Cocoon to return a directory listing of a web-uri. Is
> there an implementation that would allow me to pass an http://...
> formatted address and receive a xml-formatted directory listing in
> return. I am assuming that I would have to write a class similar to the
> current directory generator unless there is something already out there.
> Does anyone have any idea on how to proceed?

As Steven pointed out, there is no way of knowing a directory format
(and not only that: in most cases directory indexes are forbidden). You
can do such a thing if the web server is WebDAV enables (and I have a
small generator sitting on my hard disk as nothing more that a small
proof of concept).

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Pro-netics s.r.l.

Re: URI Directory Generator

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Chad Gipson wrote:

> I am trying to use Cocoon to return a directory listing of a web-uri. Is
> there an implementation that would allow me to pass an http://...
> formatted address and receive a xml-formatted directory listing in
> return. I am assuming that I would have to write a class similar to the
> current directory generator unless there is something already out there.
> Does anyone have any idea on how to proceed?

Given the fact you will never be sure about the format of that HTML
'directory listing' fetched across HTTP, you will be better off when
piping that page through JTidy [1] and use XSLT to massage it into the
format you need.

</Steven>

[1] http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/userdocs/generators/html-generator.html

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org