Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Shailesh Vaidya <Sh...@Yojna.com> on 2003/06/05 15:25:28 UTC

Packaging of Modified Log4j Classes and Creating a new jar

Hello,

We are using the Composite Rolling Appender by Kevin Steppe in our
application for our logging needs . We have also modified the
PropertyConfigurator class.

Can we create a new jar with a different name and package it with our
new application.

Will we be violating the licensing  policy of Log4J , if we package the
new jar with our application.

Regards

Shailesh

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Shailesh,

Interesting question. As far as I know, per clauses 4 and 5 of the
Apache license, and it's log4j variant, you cannot call your modified
product log4j nor can you suggest that the modified product is
endorsed by the Apache Software Foundation or the Jakarta project,
without prior written permission of the foundation.

I suggest that you rename the log4j-1.2.x.jar file to something else,
so that is it clear that your version is distinct from the official
distribution. Thus, you should be (imho) correctly observing the terms
of the Apache License.

You should take the above remarks with a grain of salt. First,
although an ASF member, I am *not* an ASF officer. Second, the above
remarks are my personal understanding of the Apache Software License
and do not officially engage the ASF.

HTH,