Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by newbieSCS <st...@control-pt.com> on 2011/09/29 18:29:21 UTC

How Can I Build ActiveMQ-CPP dynamically (dll) on CentOS 5.3 Virtual Machine?

Hello,

I have been given an assignment by my supervisor to develop a method for
building the ActiveMQ CMS (ActiveMQ-CPP) dynamically (dll) using our CentOS
5.3 Virtual Machine as the environment.

I've new to this and have never built .dll library files from a linux
environment before.  Would I need to use any cross-compilers?  How can I
change the makefiles in the linux version (activemq-cpp.tar.gz) to make the
DLL in addition to the archive and shared object files?  What options can be
used with the ./configure command to cause the makefiles created to make a
DLL?

This assignment needs to be completed by Oct. 12.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Re: How Can I Build ActiveMQ-CPP dynamically (dll) on CentOS 5.3 Virtual Machine?

Posted by newbieSCS <st...@control-pt.com>.
I downloaded the apache-activemq-5.5.0 and tried starting the activemq
executable in the bin directory.  I am getting this message:

INFO: Loading '/etc/default/activemq'
ERROR:  Configuration variable JAVA_HOME or JAVACMD is not defined
correctly.
            (JAVA_HOME=' ' , JAVACMD='java')

I then checked the activemq config. file in /etc/default and I noticed that
JAVA_HOME was commented out and that JAVACMD="auto".

What should I do?

Thanks!

Re: How Can I Build ActiveMQ-CPP dynamically (dll) on CentOS 5.3 Virtual Machine?

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 10:30 -0700, newbieSCS wrote:
> Yes I have.  I just looked in there and I saw the "example" executable for
> the HelloWorldProducer/Consumer example.
>
> How can I run a broker?
>
> When I tried running the program, it just hangs there after displaying the
> "Starting the example." string.

In order to run a broker you need to go to the ActiveMQ website and
download the latest version and follow the instructions in the getting
started guide.

http://activemq.apache.org/getting-started.html

--
Tim Bish
------------

Re: How Can I Build ActiveMQ-CPP dynamically (dll) on CentOS 5.3 Virtual Machine?

Re: How Can I Build ActiveMQ-CPP dynamically (dll) on CentOS 5.3 Virtual Machine?

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 07:29 -0700, newbieSCS wrote:
> Sorry for the confusion.  They don't want a windows dll, they want the .so
> file.  I've already executed the ./configure/make/make install and I have
> that file.  The other thing they want is a hello world program testing the
> library and that links to the .so library file (preferably in Qt).
>
> Is there a ready-made example program like that available in the
> distribution?  Just curious.

Have you tried looking in the directory in the source bundle called
"examples" ?

> Thanks for your help.

Tim Bish
------------

Posted by Todd Crone <to...@lexmark.com>.
We have to run some .NET code on CentOS.  We use mono but I'm not sure why
you would choose that route unless you have some functional code that you
don't want to port.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by newbieSCS <st...@control-pt.com>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 09:29 -0700, newbieSCS wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been given an assignment by my supervisor to develop a method for
> building the ActiveMQ CMS (ActiveMQ-CPP) dynamically (dll) using our CentOS
> 5.3 Virtual Machine as the environment.
>
> I've new to this and have never built .dll library files from a linux
> environment before.  Would I need to use any cross-compilers?  How can I
> change the makefiles in the linux version (activemq-cpp.tar.gz) to make the
> DLL in addition to the archive and shared object files?  What options can be
> used with the ./configure command to cause the makefiles created to make a
> DLL?
>
> This assignment needs to be completed by Oct. 12.

I'm assuming that by DLL you mean a shared library (a .so)?  If so then
this is already done by default using the standard build process for
ActiveMQ CPP.  When you run configure and do a make and then make
install a shared library and a static lib will be installed in the
prefix location (/usr/local by default).

Regards

--
Tim Bish