Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net> on 2003/05/13 00:36:09 UTC

Personal plans

Hi everyone,

As Pierre's known for some time, I've been planning on leaving my current
career and heading to law school.  Just today, I formally committed to
enroll at UC Berkeley; I'll be leaving Yale in June and heading down to
Berkeley in July.

Because of the focus and commitment demanded by legal education, I won't
be able to continue leading the JSTL Reference Implementation project and
working actively on JCP specifications.  The last few years I've spent
with the rest of you in the Java community have been extraordinarily
fulfilling, and it's not easy to leave; I'm just glad I got to know so
many of you -- you've been great colleagues, outstanding programmers, and
users of exceptional taste. :)

I'll do my best to follow the lists when I can and to keep up with many of
you personally.  In the meantime, thanks to you all!

Shawn

Re: Personal plans

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
Shawn,

Sorry to see you "leave us", but I wish you all the luck with your new
career. I'll hope I run into now and then even in the future; working
with you (and the rest of the EG) on JSTL was a blast.

Hans

Shawn Bayern wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As Pierre's known for some time, I've been planning on leaving my current
> career and heading to law school.  Just today, I formally committed to
> enroll at UC Berkeley; I'll be leaving Yale in June and heading down to
> Berkeley in July.
>
> Because of the focus and commitment demanded by legal education, I won't
> be able to continue leading the JSTL Reference Implementation project and
> working actively on JCP specifications.  The last few years I've spent
> with the rest of you in the Java community have been extraordinarily
> fulfilling, and it's not easy to leave; I'm just glad I got to know so
> many of you -- you've been great colleagues, outstanding programmers, and
> users of exceptional taste. :)
>
> I'll do my best to follow the lists when I can and to keep up with many of
> you personally.  In the meantime, thanks to you all!
>
> Shawn

Hans Bergsten                                <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>
Gefion Software                       <http://www.gefionsoftware.com/>
Author of O'Reilly's "JavaServer Pages", covering JSP 1.2 and JSTL 1.0
Details at                                    <http://TheJSPBook.com/>

Re: Personal plans

Posted by Jayson Falkner <ja...@jspinsider.com>.
Good luck Shawn!

Jayson Falkner
jayson@jspinsider.com

Re: Personal plans

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Shawn Bayern wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 18:36:09 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>
> To: jsr-052-experts@eng.sun.com
> Cc: taglibs-user@jakarta.apache.org, taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Personal plans
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> As Pierre's known for some time, I've been planning on leaving my current
> career and heading to law school.  Just today, I formally committed to
> enroll at UC Berkeley; I'll be leaving Yale in June and heading down to
> Berkeley in July.
>
> Because of the focus and commitment demanded by legal education, I won't
> be able to continue leading the JSTL Reference Implementation project and
> working actively on JCP specifications.  The last few years I've spent
> with the rest of you in the Java community have been extraordinarily
> fulfilling, and it's not easy to leave; I'm just glad I got to know so
> many of you -- you've been great colleagues, outstanding programmers, and
> users of exceptional taste. :)
>
> I'll do my best to follow the lists when I can and to keep up with many of
> you personally.  In the meantime, thanks to you all!

Shawn,

Best wishes in your new endeavor!  My dad is an attorney (I showed up the
night before a law school final, and he still got an A :-), so caring
about law is definitely in my blood too.  Good luck!

> Shawn

Craig McClanahan

Re: Personal plans

Posted by Tony LaPaso <tl...@attbi.com>.
I don't know you Shawn but I have your excellent JSTL book. Well, I wish you
good luck. But...a lawyer? You seem like such an honest, decent person. :)

Good luck.

Tony

Re: Personal plans

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Shawn Bayern wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As Pierre's known for some time, I've been planning on leaving my current
> career and heading to law school.  Just today, I formally committed to
> enroll at UC Berkeley; I'll be leaving Yale in June and heading down to
> Berkeley in July.

Thanks for the great job as spec lead for the RI of the Standard Tag Library!

Best wishes in your pursuit of a law degree.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: Personal plans

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Shawn Bayern wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 18:36:09 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>
> To: jsr-052-experts@eng.sun.com
> Cc: taglibs-user@jakarta.apache.org, taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Personal plans
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> As Pierre's known for some time, I've been planning on leaving my current
> career and heading to law school.  Just today, I formally committed to
> enroll at UC Berkeley; I'll be leaving Yale in June and heading down to
> Berkeley in July.
>
> Because of the focus and commitment demanded by legal education, I won't
> be able to continue leading the JSTL Reference Implementation project and
> working actively on JCP specifications.  The last few years I've spent
> with the rest of you in the Java community have been extraordinarily
> fulfilling, and it's not easy to leave; I'm just glad I got to know so
> many of you -- you've been great colleagues, outstanding programmers, and
> users of exceptional taste. :)
>
> I'll do my best to follow the lists when I can and to keep up with many of
> you personally.  In the meantime, thanks to you all!

Shawn,

Best wishes in your new endeavor!  My dad is an attorney (I showed up the
night before a law school final, and he still got an A :-), so caring
about law is definitely in my blood too.  Good luck!

> Shawn

Craig McClanahan

Re: Personal plans

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
Shawn,

Re: Personal plans

Posted by "Peter A. Pilgrim" <pe...@xenonsoft.demon.co.uk>.
Shawn Bayern wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As Pierre's known for some time, I've been planning on leaving my current
> career and heading to law school.  Just today, I formally committed to
> enroll at UC Berkeley; I'll be leaving Yale in June and heading down to
> Berkeley in July.
>
> Because of the focus and commitment demanded by legal education, I won't
> be able to continue leading the JSTL Reference Implementation project and
> working actively on JCP specifications.  The last few years I've spent
> with the rest of you in the Java community have been extraordinarily
> fulfilling, and it's not easy to leave; I'm just glad I got to know so
> many of you -- you've been great colleagues, outstanding programmers, and
> users of exceptional taste. :)

My Sister did a law degree and by watching her, I am glad it was her
studying English Law than me. I stuck to Physical Sciences and Computing.

> I'll do my best to follow the lists when I can and to keep up with many of
> you personally.  In the meantime, thanks to you all!
>
> Shawn

Good Luck

--
Peter Pilgrim