Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2008/09/15 12:41:34 UTC

Where to put shell scripts in the Standard Directory Layout?

Hi

We have a bunch of wrapper scripts for Unix and Windows, in the form of
.sh and .bat files, that basically runs java programs from the command
line. I haven't found any references to where such files fit into the
Standard Directory Layout [1]. My preference would be to put them in
src/main/bin

What do others do?

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Where to put shell scripts in the Standard Directory Layout?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
They tend to end up in different directories depending on what plugins use
them, often just as resources.
- Brett

2008/9/15 Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>

> Hi
>
> We have a bunch of wrapper scripts for Unix and Windows, in the form of
> .sh and .bat files, that basically runs java programs from the command
> line. I haven't found any references to where such files fit into the
> Standard Directory Layout [1]. My preference would be to put them in
> src/main/bin
>
> What do others do?
>

> [1]
>
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html
>
> --
> Dennis Lundberg

Brett Porter
Blog: http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Re: Where to put shell scripts in the Standard Directory Layout?

Posted by da...@davidkarlsen.com.
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have a bunch of wrapper scripts for Unix and Windows, in the form of
> .sh and .bat files, that basically runs java programs from the command
> line. I haven't found any references to where such files fit into the
> Standard Directory Layout [1]. My preference would be to put them in
> src/main/bin
>
> What do others do?
I use scr/main/scripts described in:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-pom.html

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com

Re: Where to put shell scripts in the Standard Directory Layout?

Posted by Paul <pa...@nosphere.org>.
Le Monday 15 September 2008 13:19:47 Dennis Lundberg, vous avez écrit :
> These files will not be processed automatically by any plugin, but they
> will be included in the target zip/tar file by the Assembly Plugin. This
> will need to be configured manually in the assembly descriptor, but we
> are OK with that.
>
> Putting them in src/main/resources will include them inside the
> jar-file, which isn't something we want.

Then you could go for src/main/assembly/resources.

Paul

Re: Where to put shell scripts in the Standard Directory Layout?

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.
If those files won't be processed by Maven, they should be considered as
resources, so src/main/resources would be my preference. If they will be
processed, then look at the documentation of the plugin that will process
them.

Jeff MAURY

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have a bunch of wrapper scripts for Unix and Windows, in the form of
> .sh and .bat files, that basically runs java programs from the command
> line. I haven't found any references to where such files fit into the
> Standard Directory Layout [1]. My preference would be to put them in
> src/main/bin
>
> What do others do?
>

> [1]
>
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html
>
> --
> Dennis Lundberg

La mélancolie c'est communiste
Tout le monde y a droit de temps en temps
La mélancolie n'est pas capitaliste
C'est même gratuit pour les perdants
La mélancolie c'est pacifiste
On ne lui rentre jamais dedans
La mélancolie oh tu sais ça existe
Elle se prend même avec des gants
La mélancolie c'est pour les syndicalistes
Il faut juste sa carte de permanent

Miossec (2006)

http://www.jeffmaury.com
http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
http://www.lastfm.fr/listen/user/jeffmaury/personal
Mes CDs à récupérer:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pNeg4Doa_oCsh7CepKPaPTA&hl=en

RE: Where to put shell scripts in the Standard Directory Layout?

Posted by Chris Helck <Ch...@us.icap.com>.
Keep it simple. If the scripts are used to launch or control an
application put them in src/main/bin, it is the obvious place. Placing
them in src/main/resourses will confuse non-maven users.

Scripts that get called during the build should be put somewhere else,
possibly resources, but I put them elsewhere because I don't want them
to be deployed in any form.

My assembly script is below. It creates an assembly with two
subdirectories: bin and jars. For many simple applications this is good
enough.

<assembly>
  <id>jarset</id>
  <formats>
    <format>zip</format>
  </formats>
  <includeBaseDirectory>true</includeBaseDirectory>
  <fileSets>
    <fileSet>
      <directory>src/main/bin</directory>
      <outputDirectory>/bin</outputDirectory>
      <fileMode>755</fileMode>
    </fileSet>
  </fileSets>
  <dependencySets>
    <dependencySet>
      <outputDirectory>/jars</outputDirectory>
      <scope>runtime</scope>
    </dependencySet>
  </dependencySets>
</assembly>

Regards,
C. Helck

We have a bunch of wrapper scripts for Unix and Windows, in the form of
.sh and .bat files, that basically runs java programs from the command
line. I haven't found any references to where such files fit into the
Standard Directory Layout [1]. My preference would be to put them in
src/main/bin

What do others do?

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard
-directory-layout.html

--
Dennis Lundberg

This communication and all information (including, but not limited to,
 market prices/levels and data) contained therein (the "Information") is
 for informational purposes only, is confidential, may be legally
 privileged and is the intellectual property of ICAP plc and its affiliates
 ("ICAP") or third parties. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
 lost by any mistransmission. The Information is not, and should not
 be construed as, an offer, bid or solicitation in relation to any
 financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction.
 The Information is not warranted, including, but not limited, as to
 completeness, timeliness or accuracy and is subject to change
 without notice. ICAP assumes no liability for use or misuse of the
 Information. All representations and warranties are expressly
 disclaimed. The Information does not necessarily reflect the views of
 ICAP. Access to the Information by anyone else other than the
 recipient is unauthorized and any disclosure, copying, distribution or
 any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited. If
 copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and
 notify the sender.