Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Frank Bures <li...@chem.toronto.edu> on 2006/01/20 19:23:31 UTC

server reached --max-clients setting

Re: server reached --max-clients setting

Posted by Ronan <r....@qub.ac.uk>.
Matt Kettler wrote:
> Frank Bures wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am running spamd with "-m 20" setting, yet I've seen multiple
>>entries like
>>these in the logs:
>>
>>spamd[3098]: prefork: server reached --max-clients setting, consider
>>raising
>>it
>>
>>What would be a good number for "-m" on a Quad Opteron server
>>processing some
>>20k messages a day?
>

> A good number for -m is neither a function of CPU power, nor
> messages/day. It is a function of free memory.
>
> run the "free" command. Divide the free memory (on the +buffers/cache
> line) by the rss of a spamd child from ps aux. Thats the upper limit on
> how many more spamd's you can run before you start thrashing.
>
> I'd not immediately go that far, but keep it in mind as being a ceiling.
>
> Also keep in mind that no matter how many spamd's you have, if you get a
> burst in-rush of mail you'll hit the limit for a short time. You should
> not have to worry too much about it unless it's happening frequently and
> spamcs are timing out.

another option would be to run using the pre 3.1 round robin
algorithm... This I and others have found to be better equiped to deal
with a large and constant amount of mails. If the server is primarily a
spamd machine then I think it would be worth your while to enable
--round-robin on the CL when you start SA.

Ronan

Re: server reached --max-clients setting

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.