Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com> on 2004/09/13 09:57:12 UTC

Re: Ant tasks to mirror Maven Geronimo deploy plugin

David Jencks wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2004, at 10:35 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:
>
>> I've been looking through the info on the wiki WRT installing,
>> running, deploying, undeploying and stopping. These processes seem to
>> be fairly terse when using the Maven Geronimo deploy plugin. However,
>> the same steps for those who are not using the Maven Geronimo deploy
>> plugin are very verbose. It seems to me that all of this could be
>> abstracted by a set of Ant tasks.
>>
>> Also, I've looked everywhere for the Maven Geronimo plugin. Where in
>> the world can I find it?
>

> In the geronimo tree under modules/maven-plugin

I figured out it was my fault about two minutes after I sent the
original message >8-/.

>>  I'd like to get a look at the guts of it so that I can create a set
>> of Ant tasks to mirror the Maven plugin. Has anyone else thought
>> about  doing this? Also, what are some additional opinions on this
>> topic? Am  I just way off base here or do others also see value in
>> such a beast?
>

> I think you can reuse the maven plugin classes in ant taskdefs, or
> maybe you will have to wrap them to make them implement some ant
> interface.  It's going to be moderately inconvenient to use with ant
> due to the jars you need to get into the ant classpath.   Maybe you
> could build an uberjar containing all the dependencies.  It's
> (fortunately) been a long time since I've used ant, but I remember that
> using the similar ant add-on I wrote for jboss was painful due to the
> dependencies.

Reuse seems like the best solution via wrapper classes. Are you talking
about jars that must be bootstrapped by Ant? I'm not sure how this would
fly, but I could drop the jars in the $ANT_HOME/lib directory. Can you
explain this further?

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print
unpack("u30","<0G)U8V4\\@4VYY9&5R\\"F9E<G)E=\\$\\!F<FEI+F-O;0\\`\\`");'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo

Re: Ant tasks to mirror Maven Geronimo deploy plugin

Posted by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com>.
Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> Bruce Snyder wrote:
>
>> Reuse seems like the best solution via wrapper classes. Are you
>> talking about jars that must be bootstrapped by Ant? I'm not sure how
>> this would fly, but I could drop the jars in the $ANT_HOME/lib
>> directory. Can you explain this further?
>

> Let me add to it before Dave wakes up :)
>
> The maven plugin expects the Geronimo-specific libraries, and
> (fortunatelly) Maven takes care of it, i.e. it'll download them when
> required (unlike Ant). That's how I understood the Dave's "fortunatelly".
>
> I don't know how exactly a plugin tells Maven what it needs, but in our
> build configuration, during the build Maven looks at
> modules/maven-plugin/project.xml and downloads the dependencies
> (declared as <dependencies/>). Therefore, once the build is done, the
> libs are in their place, ready to be used by the plugin.

I assumed he was talking about Maven's ability to manage dependencies
via the project.xml. I just wanted some clarification. This can be
accomplished (more or less) in Ant. Use Maven to create an Ant build
descriptor for any random project.xml (via the maven ant command) and
you'll see what I mean.

Bruce

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Bruce Snyder wrote:

> Reuse seems like the best solution via wrapper classes. Are you talking
> about jars that must be bootstrapped by Ant? I'm not sure how this would
> fly, but I could drop the jars in the $ANT_HOME/lib directory. Can you
> explain this further?

Let me add to it before Dave wakes up :)

The maven plugin expects the Geronimo-specific libraries, and
(fortunatelly) Maven takes care of it, i.e. it'll download them when
required (unlike Ant). That's how I understood the Dave's "fortunatelly".

I don't know how exactly a plugin tells Maven what it needs, but in our
build configuration, during the build Maven looks at
modules/maven-plugin/project.xml and downloads the dependencies
(declared as <dependencies/>). Therefore, once the build is done, the
libs are in their place, ready to be used by the plugin.

> Bruce

Jacek

Re: Ant tasks to mirror Maven Geronimo deploy plugin

Posted by David Jencks <dj...@gluecode.com>.
On Sep 13, 2004, at 12:57 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>
>> On Sep 12, 2004, at 10:35 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:
>>> I've been looking through the info on the wiki WRT installing,
>>> running, deploying, undeploying and stopping. These processes seem
>>> to  be fairly terse when using the Maven Geronimo deploy plugin.
>>> However,  the same steps for those who are not using the Maven
>>> Geronimo deploy  plugin are very verbose. It seems to me that all of
>>> this could be  abstracted by a set of Ant tasks.
>>>
>>> Also, I've looked everywhere for the Maven Geronimo plugin. Where in
>>>  the world can I find it?
>> In the geronimo tree under modules/maven-plugin
>
> I figured out it was my fault about two minutes after I sent the
> original message >8-/.
>
>>>  I'd like to get a look at the guts of it so that I can create a set
>>>  of Ant tasks to mirror the Maven plugin. Has anyone else thought
>>> about  doing this? Also, what are some additional opinions on this
>>> topic? Am  I just way off base here or do others also see value in
>>> such a beast?
>> I think you can reuse the maven plugin classes in ant taskdefs, or
>> maybe you will have to wrap them to make them implement some ant
>> interface.  It's going to be moderately inconvenient to use with ant
>> due to the jars you need to get into the ant classpath.   Maybe you
>> could build an uberjar containing all the dependencies.  It's
>> (fortunately) been a long time since I've used ant, but I remember
>> that  using the similar ant add-on I wrote for jboss was painful due
>> to the  dependencies.
>
> Reuse seems like the best solution via wrapper classes. Are you
> talking about jars that must be bootstrapped by Ant? I'm not sure how
> this would fly, but I could drop the jars in the $ANT_HOME/lib
> directory. Can you explain this further?

That's it.  I think you'll have to include all the dependencies from
the plugin's project.xml.  Also, you may want to add more -- otherwise
error classes that come back can't be deserialized. (this is currently
a problem with the maven plugin also).

david jencks