Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/07 13:55:19 UTC

Collections again

I have misplaced Dawid's thread.

There's an interesting thing about our current situation. I forgot to
rationalize the package names on the collections when I last worked on
them. So they are all .math.

This could be viewed as an opportunity. If HPPC or fastwhatever is a
superior device, we could *add* it under org.apache.mahout.coll,
leaving the colt stuff under math. Then we, over the long term,
improve the naming, and avoid and abrupt incompatibility.

Can someone suggest a way to get from Dawid's ascii graphics to a plan?

Re: Collections again

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.

> depend on it and deprecate the Colt-derived collections lib. That
> seems like a fine plan for me. Who needs to be maintaining 'yet
> another collections lib'?

I'd say it really make little sense. We will probably keep HPPC because we
have it tightly integrated in our commercial software, but now that fastutil
is ASL-ed I think it becomes very attractive as the primary choice for
primitive collections.

> You know, I assumed (apropos of nothing) that your name was Arabic,
> but now I see your email domain ...

Arabic? Nah... I was born, raised and live in Poland. But then, we've been
invaded by so many countries over the centuries that what flows in my veins
is probably a little bit of everything, so you weren't so far off :)

D.

Re: Collections again

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Dawid,

It's not that can't read it, it's that I don't know what to do about
it. Due to my slight snow-blindness, it hadn't occurred to me to just
depend on it and deprecate the Colt-derived collections lib. That
seems like a fine plan for me. Who needs to be maintaining 'yet
another collections lib'?

You know, I assumed (apropos of nothing) that your name was Arabic,
but now I see your email domain ...

--benson

Re: Collections again

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.