Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/09 17:24:43 UTC

handling old Subversion contents after migrations to Git

Hi all,

As you probably know, we migrated the Proton and new JMS client code
to Git repositories last year. As part of the process the old
locations within the Subversion repo were frozen read-only and left in
place.

Some folks have been caught out by using the old stale locations, as
although we have updated our website with the new locations (and all
the commits@ traffic mentions the new locations) it isnt particularly
clear from the old contents themselves that they are no longer in use
(other than by realising the last commits were a while ago).

I noticed some documentation which indicated as Chair I should be able
to modify the access rights to the old locations, allowing us to edit
them and make things clearer. I checked with infra and that is indeed
the case, although they are also happy to do it for us depending on
the change (e.g move contents to an attic dir, add pointer file).

I wonder what people think we should do:
1. Add pointer files indicating the contents are no longer used and
directing to the Git repos.
2. Delete the trunk dirs, add pointer files to the Git repos.
3. Move the contents to an attic area, add pointer files to the Git
repos in old locations.
4. Delete the contents entirely, dont add pointers.

(The 'deleted' files will obviously remain in Subversion history)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Robbie

Re: handling old Subversion contents after migrations to Git

Posted by Oleksandr Rudyy <or...@gmail.com>.
+1 for option 3

AW: handling old Subversion contents after migrations to Git

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Pointer files added via http://svn.apache.org/r1675435

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
Here's the score:

Option   1     2     3     4
        --    --    --    --
SH       0     0     1    -1
CR       1     0     0    -1
EA       1     0     0     0
RG       1     0     0     0
OR       0     0     1     0
TR       0     1     0     0
AC       0     1     0     0
        ==    ==    ==    ==

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
+1 for Option 1
+0 for Option 3
-1 for Option 2
-2 for Option 4
-2 for No Change

Thanks for addressing this issue.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, 2015-03-17 at 14:10 -0400, Ted Ross wrote:
> I like #2 (delete the trunk dirs and leave a README with pointers to the
> git repos).

+1

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
The only one I'm strongly opposed to is #4.

I slightly prefer #3 of the remaining options. It gets the old content out of the way without deleting it.