Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Robert2012 <ga...@mercon24.de> on 2012/03/29 17:26:44 UTC

Webshop: Product search on f.ex. on futures

Hey guys,

i just started to check out the ootb functionality concerning Webstore
frontenend.

Im have seeen a lot of sites (mostly electronic seller) who have for each
catagorie a spezific formular to narrow the product search.

in Ofbiz I found the "advanced search" function, where I can add futures to
the category and afterwards I can choose the future I like to get a better
search result. This is a good start.

But what I dont like is that there is no checking if there is a product with
these futures in that categorie...so I can select futures on product search
and dont get any result.

do someone now how to handle it? IT would be also great if I choose one
future to narrow my results, that all other formulars change to only the
available futures after that.

Example store: http://www.projectorshop24.co.uk/projector/projector.html
You see there the selection of manufacturer and so on.

another thing is, that when I use the sample future "Model Year Features"
every year is listed in the search menu. But I maybe want to search like:
from 1990, from 2000, from 1980 and so on to find similar products.

any ideas?

looking forward to it :)

Kindly

Robert

btw. What is the difference between Futures and Attributes (I now futures
can change for each product, but for what do I use attributes?)

Re: Webshop: Product search on f.ex. on futures

Posted by Robert2012 <ga...@mercon24.de>.
I just looked a little bit around concerning SOLR, nice project!
Implementation seems not that difficult cause of running in the Java
container and easy API to avoid hundreds of XML scans. I think I will give
it a try :)

If someone allready got the implementation and setup for ofbiz (especially
setup for ofbiz product database) please give us some tips :)

Kindly

Robert

Re: Webshop: Product search on f.ex. on futures

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@salmonllc.com>.
The SOLR re-indexing takes a couple of minutes if you have less than
approx 1000 products. We have other mechanisms to provide "during the
day" updates but for the most part we expect product add/removes to take
place once per day so indexing would be done overnight. It would be
interesting to see if SOLR could accept a "new product" snippet into
it's index.

You're correct, SOLR is part of BigFish ootb, but not currently
available in OFBiz ootb.

We consider SOLR to be a best-of-breed component for this type of
filtering -- IBM recently incorporated the software into their Websphere
eCommerce product.

Best Regards,

Nick Rosser
nrosser@salmonllc.com
O: 516.742.7888 x221
C: 516.901.1720

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.
There is this patch, which I haven't tried:

I'd be interested if it works, and what it looks like.

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@salmonllc.com>.
Robert,

Our BigFish eCommerce solution that leverages OFBiz uses an
implementation from Lucene/SOLR to do exactly what you're looking for.

Check out http://bigfish.salmonllc.com -- we have a "Demo" Electronic
Store that may be of interest to you.

Best Regards,

Nick Rosser