Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> on 2012/02/07 11:30:02 UTC

Document archtiectural decisions in Wiki

Hi all,

I discussed with Andreas on IRC that it is would be good to document
architectural decisions in the wiki. The idea is to extract the most
important informations from discussions on e.g. the mailing list. The
list should allow us to point new developers to decisions that were made
so they can inform themselves about these before dicussing the
decisions. The list should also allow to revisit decisions from time to
time so we have the chance to change a decision if for example the
reasons for it change.

See
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Architectural+decisions

I currently added a first decision for console as it came up on the irc
channel. Please document further decisions as you see fit and also help
making existing ones more concise.
We should of course not document every little decision. I think a good
indicator that a decision should be documented is when it is discussed
often and or heated :-)

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Document archtiectural decisions in Wiki

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Makes sense to me. In the end we have to support the decision anyway. So
I replaced that with "Who was involved"

Christian

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Absolutely. I mainly intend to document the decisions as the mailing
list threads can get really big and sometimes contradict themselves.
So after each important decision I think it makes sense to extract what
should be remembered.

Christian

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

<ch...@die-schneider.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I discussed with Andreas on IRC that it is would be good to document
> architectural decisions in the wiki. The idea is to extract the most
> important informations from discussions on e.g. the mailing list. The list
> should allow us to point new developers to decisions that were made so they
> can inform themselves about these before dicussing the decisions. The list
> should also allow to revisit decisions from time to time so we have the
> chance to change a decision if for example the reasons for it change.
>
> See
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Architectural+decisions
>
> I currently added a first decision for console as it came up on the irc
> channel. Please document further decisions as you see fit and also help
> making existing ones more concise.
> We should of course not document every little decision. I think a good
> indicator that a decision should be documented is when it is discussed often
> and or heated :-)
>
> Christian
>

> --
> Christian Schneider