Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> on 2012/08/14 20:05:22 UTC

Updating a couplr of blog postings - new school year in my neck of the woods

Howdy,

In the 2010 I put together a few blog posts, the idea being an
enumerated a short list of useful addons for the OpenOffice.org user.

Three different lists:

http://drewjensen.typepad.com/blog/2010/07/openofficeorg-templates-for-primiary-school-faculty-and-staff.html

http://drewjensen.typepad.com/blog/2010/07/openofficeorg-templates-for-seconday-school-faculty.html

http://drewjensen.typepad.com/blog/2010/07/openofficeorg-college-freshman-templates.html

Thought I would update these for 2012, and publish first of next week
- so any and all suggestions for "must have" items with AOO would truly
be appreciated.

Thanks,

//drew

Re: Updating a couplr of blog postings - new school year in my neck of the woods

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 12:13 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:35 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> >> Most of the links don't work for me -- the template links. (Windows XP/Firefox)
> >
> > Yes - they did work of course - so for tonights fun and relaxation, at
> > least fix the broken links.
> >

> >> But I love the idea.
> >
> > They were popular and had long tails - the first such were in 2007 on a
> > personal blog at live.com also popular ... somehow, for the windowsill
> > blog, the entire history was lost when MS transfered the service to WP.
> > Oh Well (my fault for not having off-line backup)
> >
> > Part of this was my own little QA, quick usage test, with the current
> > release for each item mentioned, just prior to publishing the posts.. so
> > as I go along this week I'll use the latest 3.4.1 build for AOO and
> > focus on 32bit Windows Vista for the platform.
> >

> I just noticed this article:
> http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/story/2012-08-15/back-to-school-free-software/57054404/1
>
> It looks like the "back-to-school" theme with open source software is
> becoming more mainstream.

Yes - I would agree.

It is also my anecdotal experience that OS in general and this package
in particular have a strong and growing usage amongst charter schools,
non-government owned schools (parochial and secular) and home schoolers.

This later category, home schoolers, includes not just individual
interest but also a few of the home schooling curriculum providers are
showing interest.

//drew

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Fixed broken links in old blogs (was: Re: Updating a couple of blog postings - new school year in my neck of the woods)

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Tue, 2012-08-14 at 14:35 -0400, drew wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-08-14 at 14:16 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:05 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > In the 2010 I put together a few blog posts, the idea being an
> > > enumerated a short list of useful addons for the OpenOffice.org user.
> > >

> > Most of the links don't work for me -- the template links. (Windows XP/Firefox)

<snip>

> > > Three different lists:
> > >
> > > http://drewjensen.typepad.com/blog/2010/07/openofficeorg-templates-for-primiary-school-faculty-and-staff.html
> > >
> > > http://drewjensen.typepad.com/blog/2010/07/openofficeorg-templates-for-seconday-school-faculty.html
> > >
> > > http://drewjensen.typepad.com/blog/2010/07/openofficeorg-college-freshman-templates.html

well that was fun, and relatively painless - the links to the template
repo should _all_ be fixed in the old blog posts - now to waste some
paper and ink trying each for the 2012 posts...

Found a couple of new and interesting possible additions in the repo
also - also, I've not prowled the Symphony template repo.. anyone know
of anything there they think would fit in this theme?

//drew

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.