Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by eweinberg <er...@hotmail.com> on 2011/05/11 21:54:58 UTC

Active Mq creating thousands of connections

I'm using activeMq 5.4.1 and activeMq gets ends up crashing because of the
sheer amount of connections.  In a tomcat app where i was expecting 10-20
connections to active Mq i was shocked to see that i was getting upwards of
17k connections.

All the connections pile up with in 10-20 seconds of starting my app server
and looking through the list via the jetty UI they all seem to look like:

Destination   	SessionId   	Selector   	Enqueues   	Dequeues   	Dispatched
Dispatched Queue
Topic
topic://ActiveMQ.Advisory.TempQueue,topic://ActiveMQ.Advisory.TempTopic 	-1
0 	0 	0 	0

I did some digging around and found this page:
http://activemq.apache.org/advisory-message.html  We are creating the
topics/queues dynamically, but i would expect messages to be placed on that
topic, not for 12k connections to be opened up to it.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Re: Active Mq creating thousands of connections

Posted by eweinberg <er...@hotmail.com>.
I've been doing some more digging around in this and I think it might be
related to the ScheduledMessage.AMQ_SCHEDULED_DELAY property I'm using in my
code. When i comment out that line, my connection count stays stable, but
with it in there, my connection count spikes and eventually drains back down
(assuming activemq isn't overwhelmed)

Is a separate connection/session opened per message with
ScheduledMessage.AMQ_SCHEDULED_DELAY set on it?