Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2000/10/26 09:51:43 UTC

Please stop posting unrelated questions

Hello,

please everyone stick to the topic (cocoon). Please stop posting XSLT
questions. Please stop posting Tomcat questions. Asking "how do I mow my
lawn with cocoon" does NOT make cocoon a lawnmower and that question
consequently is off-topic. Also, before posting a question, please read
the FAQ and the mail list archives.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: Please stop posting unrelated questions

Posted by Mac Schwarz <mc...@phil.uni-erlangen.de>.
Rob van der Zeijden wrote:

[...]
> Peter is right. A well-functioning XML/XSL mailinglist would be desirable.
> People in this group are always saying: "ask that kind of a question at the
> mulberrytech list(XSL List)." However this list is so ******* slow. I posted
> a message this morning at 8:30. It is now 11:02 and the message is
> not in the list. With a little luck this message will be in the list today
> :-(
> And this is not some strange case. I tried to post messages the last two
> weeks
> and every message had such a delay.

Hi,

just for the records: The XSL related mailing list at mulberry tech is

Mailing list name: xsl-list
Submission address: xsl-list@mulberrytech.com
Request address: Majordomo@mulberrytech.com (body: subscribe xsl-list)

Information page on WWW
<http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/index.html>

But how about the good old usenet? The charta for <news:comp.text.xml>
allows posting XSL related questions:

"CHARTER: comp.text.xml

Comp.text.xml shall be an unmoderated newsgroup for the general
discussion of the Extensible Markup Language (XML) and its
application.

This includes, but is not limited to the specifications and
syntax, document creation and editing, interchange, software,
processing and database integration. This applies not only to
XML itself but also the Extensible Linking Language (XLL), the
Extensible Style Language (XSL), Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) as
applied to XML documents, and to document types and applications
of XML."

	mac
--
Mac Schwarz / AERIA Projekt / Inst. f. Klassische Archaeologie
e-mail: mac@aeria.phil.uni-erlangen.de  / Tel.: 09131-85-24791

Re: Please stop posting unrelated questions

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Rob van der Zeijden wrote:

> Peter is right. A well-functioning XML/XSL mailinglist would be desirable.
> People in this group are always saying: "ask that kind of a question at the
> mulberrytech list(XSL List)." However this list is so ******* slow. I posted

XML/XSL/Java questions don't belong here, no matter whether other lists
exist for this purpose or whether they are slow or not. This list has
grown in traffic to a point, where we IMHO need to get back to an
acceptable signal/noise ratio or turn to a newsgroup. Before, when
traffic was low, the occasional off-topic question didn't matter, but
now it's gotten too much.

I am trying to monitor this list, in case someone asks about code I
wrote, but there is too much unrelated stuff.

Ulrich

Posted by Rob van der Zeijden <r....@tiscon.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Peter Verhage <pe...@ibuildings.nl>.
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Hello,
>
> please everyone stick to the topic (cocoon). Please stop posting XSLT
> questions. Please stop posting Tomcat questions. Asking "how do I mow my
> lawn with cocoon" does NOT make cocoon a lawnmower and that question
> consequently is off-topic. Also, before posting a question, please read
> the FAQ and the mail list archives.

Maybe it would be nice if a seperate mailinglist would be created for
this kind of stuff. Because everyone who is using cocoon is interested
in XML/XSL, and it would be nice if you could ask questions to eachother
about it, because there ain't so much people who use it at the moment
:). And it will take it from this mailinglist to another one, and this
mailinglist can be all about cocoon errors etc. etc.

Peter

--
Peter Verhage       <pe...@ibuildings.nl>
ibuildings.nl BV - information technology