Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2008/02/01 17:00:58 UTC

Tuscany Java SCA Release 1.1-incubating and new Incubator distribution policy

Hi

The Tuscany project is now ready to distribute its Java SCA Release
1.1-incubating. Following up from Robert's recent post to the Tuscany dev
list [1] I am posting here before proceeding to copy the artifacts up to
www.apache.org/dist/incubator.

The proposal it to use a similar release structure to the one we already use
[2]

tuscany/
  native/
  java/
     das/
     sca/
        1.1-incubating/
           release artifacts here
     sdo/

Please advise

Thanks

Simon

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg26970.html
[2] http://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/tuscany/

Re: Tuscany Java SCA Release 1.1-incubating and new Incubator distribution policy

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 1, 2008 4:00 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi

hi simon

> The Tuscany project is now ready to distribute its Java SCA Release
> 1.1-incubating. Following up from Robert's recent post to the Tuscany dev
> list [1] I am posting here before proceeding to copy the artifacts up to
> www.apache.org/dist/incubator.

the new distribution policy means that podling now need to do stuff
like mirroring. the reason for the post was that i volunteered to walk
podlings through the process at least until the documentation is
complete.

i'm on tuscany dev. let's move this thread back over there

- robert

Re: Tuscany Java SCA Release 1.1-incubating and new Incubator distribution policy

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 3, 2008 3:10 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/02/2008, Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 1, 2008 4:00 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > The Tuscany project is now ready to distribute its Java SCA Release
> > > 1.1-incubating. Following up from Robert's recent post to the Tuscany dev
> > > list [1] I am posting here before proceeding to copy the artifacts up to
> > > www.apache.org/dist/incubator.
> >
> > i volunteered to walk podlings through their first release under the
> > new policy (at least until the documentation is completed)
> >
> > please take a look at
> > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#release-distribution
> >
> > are there any questions you have that it doesn't answer...?
> >

> Some of the incubator dist directories contain KEYS files, some don't
> - is there a policy on that?

incubator policy is just to follow apache policy
http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html#policy

so ATM a KEYS file is not mandatory but is recommended

- robert

Re: Tuscany Java SCA Release 1.1-incubating and new Incubator distribution policy

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 4, 2008 3:09 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2008 7:04 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 3, 2008 5:10 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > On Feb 3, 2008 4:55 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin <
> > robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com>
> >
> > <snip>

> > into

> > > Yes.
> >
> > in that case, the script looks ok to me
> >
> > make sure that the signatures are correct and uploaded at the same
> > time as the release.
> >
> > is your key available from a public key server?
>

> Yep, it's here
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=simon+laws&op=vindex

great

look like everything's covered. fine by me to upload whenever you're ready.

- robert

Re: Tuscany Java SCA Release 1.1-incubating and new Incubator distribution policy

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks for the speedy feedback.....

wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2008 3:53 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > We know how we want our distribution directories structured (see start
> of
> > thread).
>
> great
>
> > There is a draft release page here (
> >
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/SCA+Java+1.1-incubating
> ).
> > I'd appreciate it if you could give the URLs a quick once over to see if
> > they are as you would expect re. mirroring.
>
> a few minor, non-normative recommendations
>
> "It can take a day or so for releases to propagate to all mirrors, so
> if you are downloading something near the release date, please be
> patient and retry the links from this page in the event that a
> selected mirror does not yet have the download."
>
> i've found that it works better to hold off the announcement until the
> mirrors have sync'd and i can test for myself that everything has
> worked. (saves embarrasements.) so, i tend to initially put a notice
> saying that the release is not yet available and then remove it once
> i've tested the downloads.

Ok, good idea.

> "The PGP signatures can be verified using PGP or GPG. First download
> the KEYS as well as the asc signature file for the relevant
> distribution. Make sure you get these files from our main distribution
> directory, rather than from a mirror (the asc and md5 links below take
> you to the main distribution directory). Then verify the signatures
> using, for example"
>
> i've found that users find sums easier than signatures. most users
> will not be strongly connected to the apache web of trust. so they are
> going to need to understand how to interpret the results. if you
> recommend checking signatures, considering copying or linking to some
> of the content on http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html#faq.

Ok, I can do that.

> > When we get the go ahead  it's left from me to upload the artifacts to
> > www.apache.org/dist/incubator/tuscany/, set the correct group and
> > permissions as documented and then integrate the new release page into
> the
> > Tuscany web site.
>
> yep (it's not really a go-ahead, more a
> make-sure-you-know-what-you're-doing)
>
> you're planning to use the dynamic script? (rather than a custom
> download script)

Yes. The release artifacts themselves are linked via

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/incubator/tuscany/java/sca/1.1-incubating/apache-tuscany-sca-1.1-incubating.zip

Etc.

Maybe a custom scrip when we''ve got used to the new approach. But not
yet:-)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Feb 3, 2008 12:31 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin <
robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2008 4:00 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > The Tuscany project is now ready to distribute its Java SCA Release
> > 1.1-incubating. Following up from Robert's recent post to the Tuscany
> dev
> > list [1] I am posting here before proceeding to copy the artifacts up to
> > www.apache.org/dist/incubator.
>
> i volunteered to walk podlings through their first release under the
> new policy (at least until the documentation is completed)
>
> please take a look at
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#release-distribution
>
> are there any questions you have that it doesn't answer...?
>
> - robert

> Hi Robert

The document looks good to me. I don't have specific questions outstanding.

We know how we want our distribution directories structured (see start of
thread).

There is a draft release page here (
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/SCA+Java+1.1-incubating).
I'd appreciate it if you could give the URLs a quick once over to see if
they are as you would expect re. mirroring.

When we get the go ahead  it's left from me to upload the artifacts to
www.apache.org/dist/incubator/tuscany/, set the correct group and
permissions as documented and then integrate the new release page into the
Tuscany web site.

Thanks for helping us through this.

Simon

Re: Tuscany Java SCA Release 1.1-incubating and new Incubator distribution policy

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.