Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au> on 2003/10/04 02:51:23 UTC

Mentor vs. Shepherd

Nicola and others,

I note in the DraftPolicy document you have done a s/shepherd/mentor/g.

Is this our final call on the title for these people?  I.e. should I
make the same change to the Process Description?

Cheers,
	Berin

Re: Mentor vs. Shepherd

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 19:46:21 -0700
(Subject: Re: Mentor vs. Shepherd)
"Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@apache.org> wrote:

> > The ASF loves the Greek Myth :-) Mentor was Odysseus's good teacher and
> > mental supporter. I prefer Mentor to Shepherd.
> Er, the ASF rarely speaks with one voice -- Stefano loves the Greek
> Myth, and the rest of us just tolerate it because we like Stefano.  ;-)

Dahhh. You are missing something. Stefano loves "Manga/Anime/Movie"
rather than Greek Myth. As far as I could see, who loves Greek Myth the
most is Brian. :-)
<OT>
Manga/Anime/Movie + Greek Myth ... == "Zodiac Knight" :-)
</OT>

> Anyway, my ultimate preference is the same as whatever person is willing
> to learn how to update our silly site, or just delete the damn thing
> and move the content over the www.apache.org/dev where I can edit it
> myself.

Aha. Gotcha. Sure, Incubator Project (incubator-site)  is using
Apache Forrest and site module is using Anakia ... Maybe you would think
that Anakia is useful for you. Make sense.

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

P.S. From my personal opinion, I prefer Apache Forrest enthusiastically.
Beautiful an' marvellous.

Re: Mentor vs. Shepherd

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@apache.org>.
> The ASF loves the Greek Myth :-) Mentor was Odysseus's good teacher and
> mental supporter. I prefer Mentor to Shepherd.

Er, the ASF rarely speaks with one voice -- Stefano loves the Greek
Myth,
and the rest of us just tolerate it because we like Stefano.  ;-)

Personally, I prefer Shepherd, since occasionally you have to take a
stick to the little bastards, or send the dogs to bring in a stray.

Anyway, my ultimate preference is the same as whatever person is willing
to learn how to update our silly site, or just delete the damn thing
and move the content over the www.apache.org/dev where I can edit it
myself.

....Roy

Re: Mentor vs. Shepherd

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Hi,

There is a history. Who introduced the concept of "Mentor" is ME,
as a matter of fact. (in june).
I talked with Stefano about this, and he said that "Oh! We should use
Mentor rather than Shepherd ..."
(Also, the term "MENTOR" is occasionally used in the situation of
the incubation in the REAL BUSINESS WORLD, too"

The ASF loves the Greek Myth :-) Mentor was Odysseus's good teacher and
mental supporter. I prefer Mentor to Shepherd.

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

P.S. I am not still able to understand what "podling" is. :-) ... in
other words?

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 10:51:23 +1000
(Subject: Mentor vs. Shepherd)

Re: Mentor vs. Shepherd

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> As I wrote in the commit doc, I regard Mentor as more a counselor, and
> Shepherd as a a guide. Hence I think that Mentor is both more
> appropriate for the name and more understandable.
> (KenC seems to prefer it too IIRC)

correct.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

RE: Mentor vs. Shepherd

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Mentor is preferable to me, too.  :-)  It is understood in technology
circles, and has a different connotation than Shephard.  The project has to
mature, and develop as a Community, rather than a flock of coding sheep.
People might perceive a Shephard as someone who will "do it" for them, which
is not how they will generally perceive a Mentor.

	--- Noel

Re: Mentor vs. Shepherd

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> Nicola and others,
>
> I note in the DraftPolicy document you have done a s/shepherd/mentor/g.
>
> Is this our final call on the title for these people?  I.e. should I
> make the same change to the Process Description?

As I wrote in the commit doc, I regard Mentor as more a counselor, and
Shepherd as a a guide. Hence I think that Mentor is both more
appropriate for the name and more understandable.
(KenC seems to prefer it too IIRC)

My take: leave Mentor, and take a quick poll in case others really won't
take it.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -