Posted to announce@apache.org by Uwe Schindler <us...@apache.org> on 2014/04/28 18:54:51 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Solr 4.8.0 released

28 April 2014, Apache Solr™ 4.8.0 available

The Lucene PMC is pleased to announce the release of Apache Solr 4.8.0

Solr is the popular, blazing fast, open source NoSQL search platform
from the Apache Lucene project. Its major features include powerful
full-text search, hit highlighting, faceted search, dynamic
clustering, database integration, rich document (e.g., Word, PDF)
handling, and geospatial search.  Solr is highly scalable, providing
fault tolerant distributed search and indexing, and powers the search
and navigation features of many of the world's largest internet sites.

Solr 4.8.0 is available for immediate download at:
  http://lucene.apache.org/solr/mirrors-solr-latest-redir.html

See the CHANGES.txt file included with the release for a full list of
details.

Solr 4.8.0 Release Highlights:

* Apache Solr now requires Java 7 or greater (recommended is
  Oracle Java 7 or OpenJDK 7, minimum update 55; earlier versions
  have known JVM bugs affecting Solr).

* Apache Solr is fully compatible with Java 8.

* <fields> and <types> tags have been deprecated from schema.xml.
  There is no longer any reason to keep them in the schema file,
  they may be safely removed. This allows intermixing of <fieldType>,
  <field> and <copyField> definitions if desired.

* The new {!complexphrase} query parser supports wildcards, ORs etc.
  inside Phrase Queries.

* New Collections API CLUSTERSTATUS action reports the status of
  collections, shards, and replicas, and also lists collection
  aliases and cluster properties.

* Added managed synonym and stopword filter factories, which enable
  synonym and stopword lists to be dynamically managed via REST API.

* JSON updates now support nested child documents, enabling {!child}
  and {!parent} block join queries.

* Added ExpandComponent to expand results collapsed by the
  CollapsingQParserPlugin, as well as the parent/child relationship
  of nested child documents.

* Long-running Collections API tasks can now be executed
  asynchronously; the new REQUESTSTATUS action provides status.

* Added a hl.qparser parameter to allow you to define a query parser
  for hl.q highlight queries.

* In Solr single-node mode, cores can now be created using named
  configsets.

* New DocExpirationUpdateProcessorFactory supports computing an
  expiration date for documents from the "TTL" expression, as well as
  automatically deleting expired documents on a periodic basis.

Solr 4.8.0 also includes many other new features as well as numerous
optimizations and bugfixes of the corresponding Apache Lucene release.

Please report any feedback to the mailing lists
(http://lucene.apache.org/solr/discussion.html)

Note: The Apache Software Foundation uses an extensive mirroring network
for distributing releases.  It is possible that the mirror you are using
may not have replicated the release yet.  If that is the case, please
try another mirror.  This also goes for Maven access.

-----
Uwe Schindler
uschindler@apache.org
Apache Lucene PMC Chair / Committer
Bremen, Germany
http://lucene.apache.org/

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Solr 4.8.0 released

Posted by Rafał Kuć <r....@solr.pl>.
Hello!

You don't need the <fields> and <types> section anymore, you can just
include type or field definition anywhere in the schema.xml section.
You can find more in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5228

 Rafał Kuć

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 4/29/2014 8:48 AM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> On 4/29/2014 8:27 AM, Flavio Pompermaier wrote:
>> In which sense fields and types are now deprecated in schema.xml? Where can
>> I found any pointer about this?
>
> Here is the patch for 4.8:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12637716/SOLR-5936.branch_4x.patch
>
> This is the full list of fieldType classes that have been deprecated by
> this issue:

And now, seeing the other replies, I see that I didn't interpret your
question properly.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Solr 4.8.0 released

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 4/29/2014 8:27 AM, Flavio Pompermaier wrote:
> In which sense fields and types are now deprecated in schema.xml? Where can
> I found any pointer about this?

Here is the patch for 4.8:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12637716/SOLR-5936.branch_4x.patch

This is the full list of fieldType classes that have been deprecated by
this issue:

BCDIntField
BCDLongField
BCDStrField
DateField
DoubleField
FloatField
IntField
LongField
SortableDoubleField
SortableFloatField
SortableIntField
SortableLongField

In schema.xml, these would show up preceded by "solr." and would be in
the class attribute of a fieldType.

None of these types are used in the *main* example for 4.x versions.
They do show up in some of the other examples in earlier releases.
Those examples have been reworked to use the newer field types.

Here's the javadoc for one of the types listed above, which shows the
deprecation notice:

http://lucene.apache.org/solr/4_8_0/solr-core/org/apache/solr/schema/LongField.html

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Solr 4.8.0 released

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Earlier, all <fieldType> tags were required to be nested inside a <types>
tag. Similarly, all <field> and <copyField> tags were required to be nested
inside a <fields> tag. Such nesting is no longer required and you can
inter-mix <field>, <fieldType> and <copyField> tags as you like. Therefore,
the <fields> and <types> tags are no longer required and can be removed.
Even if you don't remove them, things will continue to work for some times
until a major 5.0 release is made.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Solr 4.8.0 released

Posted by Flavio Pompermaier <po...@okkam.it>.