Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by David Chan <da...@cybera.ca> on 2012/12/20 19:22:37 UTC

Useful VCL software for K-12

Hi everyone,

We are running a VCL pilot for a couple of post-secondaries here in
Alberta, Canada. We are trying to also engage a K-12 school district to
participate in the pilot, but are having a hard time finding a good use
case for them. That is, we are not sure what is a good candidate piece of
software to offer through VCL. Many of the schools use Google Drive and
other than that, they usually suggest Photoshop and various 3D programs
that don't run particularly well without graphics support.

What have other people offered to the K-12 sector through VCL? Do you have
any ideas on what might be useful for them? Any ideas and pointers would be
greatly appreciated!

David Chan
Cybera Inc. <http://www.cybera.ca>

Re: Useful VCL software for K-12

Posted by Henry Schaffer <he...@ncsu.edu>.
Video editing generally requires high speed connections between the
raw video and the editing cpu. Our folks like to do this on a Mac with
Firewire or better between the large disk drive and the cpu (they
usually use Final Cut Pro rather than Photoshop.) So if the raw video
is local to the user and the video editing is going on in the VCL/"in
the cloud" - there is a WAN connection via RDP between the disk drive
and the cpu which is an order or two of magnitude worse than the
desired speed.

However we've found that Flash animations play well over a good
Internet connection.

Note that picture editing isn't a problem since the manipulations take
place in the VCL cpu, and then only the result is sent back over RDP.

--henry schaffer

Posted by David Chan <da...@cybera.ca>.

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.